AM radio attena

dbsoccer51

Joined Jun 10, 2015
I see antenna designs as a long single piece of wire. My radio receiver has to lugs intended to accommodate the AM loop antenna that was included.

I need a better antenna than the loop but I don't understand how connect the single wire antenna.

Can anyone hep?

Thanks.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If the radio has two terminals for an external loop, likely a "long-wire" antenna will not work. If it did work, then connect the long wire to one of terminals, and a "water-pipe" earth ground to the other.

A long-wire antenna is likely to pick up much more "noise" (atmosherics, lightning, power line leaks, switching power supplies than the loop. You are more likely to do better with the loop, even extending the wires and moving it outside (and higher) will probably do better than a long wire.

dbsoccer51

Joined Jun 10, 2015
If the radio has two terminals for an external loop, likely a "long-wire" antenna will not work. If it did work, then connect the long wire to one of terminals, and a "water-pipe" earth ground to the other.

A long-wire antenna is likely to pick up much more "noise" (atmosherics, lightning, power line leaks, switching power supplies than the loop. You are more likely to do better with the loop, even extending the wires and moving it outside (and higher) will probably do better than a long wire.
Thanks Mike. I have restarted a thread I started last year on this same topic. I'll let this one end. Thank you for helping me understand this question and my idea.