Aluminum potting box

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by DC_Kid, Jun 20, 2009.

1. DC_Kid

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    i am looking for a aluminum box with heatsink and a flanged cover for mounting. cast is what i suspect it will be made of. relatively small in size 3x3x1 or 4x4x1 (plus height of heatsink, etc). it's for a automotive application/circuit i am working on. i've seen some automotive electronics that use this, but i suspect they might have had it custom made, i'm looking for off the shelf item. the heatsink is some fins top side and the bottom cover is flanged for mounting. i will be potting my pcb.

or, an extrusion would work if one side had fins and allowed for a covers, etc.

anyone seen a box or extrusion like this? i wish to avoid mounting a seperate heatsink to a box, etc.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  3. DC_Kid

Feb 25, 2008
    i need fins, something like this
    [​IMG]

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It is easy to attach a heat sink to the box like this. The PCB is attached to the heatsink and the box lid cut out to accommodate that.
    [​IMG]

Also, potting generally makes heat dissipation worse.

John

5. DC_Kid

Feb 25, 2008
    having to "cut" is what i want to avoid. potting makes production for me so much easier. its not a one-off item, i will be making many, etc. my main objective with my stuff is to simplify.

i use this Hammond case for lots of things (1455C801BK). it would work for me if i could find a heatsink that would fit as one of the end panels. anyone know if such a heatsink exists? i had emailed Hammond asking about heatsinks would fit but i got no reply, my guess is they dont know.