Alternator wiring help needed

532dawes

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi- I'm a Newbie to electronics and am attempting to hook up an 24V alternator to a marine type voltage regulator. I would like to remove the existing voltage regulator (set at 28V) in the alternator with the marine (Balmar brand) This regulator will provide smart charging to a deep cycle battery bank.

This is the alternator wiring diagram- it's basic doesn't give much away.

I understand that the 2 wires at the bottom below 3 phase main windings are field wires.

My question is this: The balmar regulator has connections for field and stator. I have the field wire sorted, but where would you connect the stator wire? I assume to one of the 3 phase lines?

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would think that the stator wire would be connected to the output of the bridge.

You could try calling Balmore and explaining to them how you want to use their product.

532dawes

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Excuse my lack of electrical vocabulary but I'm not sure where the bridge is.
Newbie here to electrical schematics. Sorry for what may be a dumb question.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Those 12 diodes are the rectifier bridge. Since the regulator is a black box - the internal circuitry is not shown - it's hard to suggest what changes might work.

532dawes

Joined Nov 4, 2008
The black box/old regulator has been removed so all I have to work with are the 9 leads into that space.
I'm aware of how vague this diagram is. It's all I have for this alternator.
So if the stator wire is connected to the output of the bridge does this mean one of the three phase AC lines or the rectified DC + line?
Matteas