Alternative way to solder

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

My parents did not allow me to use soldering irons as they said that it might burn me or I might burn myself using this kind of things.

Now, I want to know if there is any thing like a soldering iron which will solder metal? Not so harmful as soldering iron.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Sorry, but the only way to solder is with something really hot, nature of the beast.
There's welding, but that has limited circuit applications and if you can't solder theres no way your parents will possibly let you weld.

Soldering irons really aren't that bad. Yes, you will burn yourself, but it's hard to get in a severe accident, and it teaches you to be more careful with it :)
But I'm not your parents.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Basically, you can burn yourself now at a young age and get it out of the way and learn to respect the soldering iron and then go on to build circuits, or you can wait 5 years and burn yourself then and go through the same process.

You could always wear gloves and flame a flame resistant suit and a full face mask, then it would be kinda hard to hurt yourself.

I remember being your age, it was when I first started soldering. I burnt myself. I shook it off and was more careful.

For some reason this thread is making be upset.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was using wood burning irons (which are are really soldering irons in disguise) when I was 8. Guess I was lucky, my folks never had a problem with it. I did have some problem getting my dad to understand that a soldering gun is not an iron, he kept pointing me to the gun.

If you review the thread about solder burns you will note that everyone has a story, and most of them things that went wrong when they were beginners.

The good news is breadboards like I sent you are relatively cheap. Do you have electronics stores out your way?

nbw

Joined May 8, 2011
Sometimes if I'm soldering SMD components (my tired old eyes don't like trying to do these with an iron!) I use a little solder paste on the component and then gentle swirling heat from a hot air gun. After about a minute the paste melts and I get a nice joint, so to speak.

You could try this with other components - perhaps a little safer than a soldering iron - but there's still something very hot in the process.

Like the other folks said - worthwhile learning about irons now. Not as daunting as it might appear. Much less scary than learning how to use the washing machine! My wife has been at me for ages to learn - seems like you should just about need a license to drive it, it's that technical LOL.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
We may have a tready with his or any young persons countries.
There parents may not understand every thing being talked about
on the computer.So If any one would get hurt bad, a forenic search
could be proof the fact that we have saftey rules on the Forum and
go back to the posters reply.In todays world,who knows.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A soldering iron is the right tool for the job. Using anything else is using the wrong tool for the job, and by definition, causes more problems than using the right tool for the job.

I missed the part about your age, but this is a good argument for any age. Still, the plug-in circuit boards are effective for low frequency, low power circuits. I use them and I'm 60 years old.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I did have some problem getting my dad to understand that a soldering gun is not an iron, he kept pointing me to the gun.
Haha, I had the same problem,
me- "I need a soldering iron"
dad- "we have one"
me- "where?"
dad- "garage"
me- "where at?"

and then he got fed up when I couldn't find it and showed me the soldering gun and I eventually convinced him that there was reason to get an actual iron.