Alternative forms of employment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Georacer, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I was attending the first job-fair expo in Athens (http://www.job-fair.gr, in greek though), which aimed to connect university student graduates with the employment sector. It had many speakers from various companies, ranging from a local internet discount business to HP and Ericsson.

One of them was the relatively new-found People Per Hour (http://www.peopleperhour.com), founded by greeks and stationed in the UK.

It is like e-bay, but instead of bidding for items, you bid for jobs you can carry out. Clients post jobs they want done, and Freelancers bid to take them. The site intervenes by securing the money transactions. Freelancers have their profiles on the site, complete with user reviews and reputation.
    The site says operates world-wide and states that its top users make 7000USD per month at an average.

The aim of the company is to make freelance offer and job demand meet into short-term job undertakings.

I made an account for future use. Too bad there isn't an Electronics category. Most of the traffic refers to code writing and web designing.

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    That sounds cool. We have a similar site here for shipping freelancers, called u-ship. When I wanted my motorcycle shipped across the country, I went there. I posted the weight & size of my bike, origin, and destination, and started recieving bids. I got several more-than-reasonable bids, but when I checked the feedback for these people, they scared me. I ended up paying another guy because he had 300+ feedbacks, @ 99% satisfaction. I payed him and he came. he gave me a discount because he wasn't going straight to my destination; went from virginia, up through canada, and back down to texas - added about 5 days to my delivery. He was just a normal guy driving a pickup with a trailer - no company name, probably didn't pay tax.

I wish we had a site where I could setup a similar profile and sell myself as an industrial machinery technician.

3. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I was just on freelancer.com and there were very few electronic engineering jobs. I searched the projects using the keyword circuit.

4. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Isn't it a bit strange that noone wants a circuit made, but everyone wants a website made?

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Everyone wants you to sell stuff for them on ebay too. because it's so hard to do.

6. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    All the electronic's are made by high speed robotic machine's. No need manual
    brain's anymore.

7. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    nothing beats knocking on doors and shaking hands.

8. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I don't know, maybe these days you may be asking for something so specific that your neighborhood can't provide.

9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Any services that have the same 800 numbers that we have in the states.
    I know we dial 800 numbers and they are answered in another country,do
    you guys have toll free calls to the U.S. and for what service do we provide.
    Would my number show up on your caller Id,do you have sprint, At&T any
    other wire less service from U.S.

10. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I guess 800 numbers are for any kind of company dialing centers and remote services?

In Greece we don't have any US providers. It's Cosmote (the state provider), Wind and Vodafone.
    The thing is that nobody else speaks greek apart from greeks so it's not reasonable to make a calling center abroad for 10.000.000 clients max.

11. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    So you speak english or use translator on computer.Did you school in U.S.

12. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I 'm a bit offended now. Does my English sound like the result of an automated translator? I started learning English when I was 10 and I 've never stopped practicing them since.

I 've never studied abroad, but plan to do so postgraduate. I don't know were exactly yet.

13. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    No,you got it wrong,you said we only speak greek. I have no doubt
    of your abilities.Please don't take a question wrong.Remember how
    I ask questions.please reply don't take it wrong.That why I ask you
    about school in U.S. that implies a world student,agree.Can I tell
    you a true story there were two greek store keepers talking greek.
    I said 'that greek too me' they told me that over 50% of words in
    the american langage were of greek orgin.Thanks

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  14. msimmons

Jun 15, 2011
    There are a lot of freelance sites online you can check out for possible matches in your resume. There are a lot of job descriptions on those sites so it is not too far fetched to get what you want. And I mean some could even reach hundreds of thousands of available contracts.

It operates globally and I think that it would change how the world works. Work meaning doing their job not how it goes about.

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    They were talking jobs yesterday,they said you need the four
    major subjects to get jobs that are available,maybe someone
    can name the the required subjects that the good jobs
    require.

16. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Having you in my mind exactly, I assumed there was a question mark after the first sentence. It's hard to make a dialogue through poetry, as the question "what did the poet mean?" will always hang over the reader's head.

It's true that there are many Greek words in the English vocabulary, but I doubt they're more than the English words in the Japanese vocabulary. I also doubt we have a Japanese member to verify that, pity...

17. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I ask the question how many countries the Forum serves,and If someone could
    name them.I have tried to reach some other countries,It seem to me like you were
    down loading software to get into some countries,so I stopped I was In unknown
    territory. One of our guest could from Japan in another country.Maybe this post will
    be an out reach to some one that monitors,you never know until you ask.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  18. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Visits to allaboutcircuits.com come from these countries:

[​IMG]
    Visitors by Country:

India 20.5%
    United States 16.6%
    Pakistan 6.1%

Great Britain (UK) 4.8%
    Bangladesh 3.2%
    China 3.1%

Visitors by City:
    Bangalore 3.6%
    Dhaka 3.4%
    Bombay 2.8%

Lahore 2.2%
    Islamabad 2.1%
    London 1.7%

Top Search Queries

[​IMG]
    So, apparently the majority of the people on the forum come from India, looking for answers to questions about low pass filters.

19. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    How did you do that? This is AWESOME!

20. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Its a whois query. Several sites support it. just google "whois allaboutcircuits.com" and you will see. different sites report data in different formats. you can do this for anywebsite. It even shows the name, address, phone, fax, & email of the person who registered the domain.

Georacer likes this.