Alternative for mosfet IRL3714ZPBF used in Eyewriter-2.0

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Rajesh Patidar, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Rajesh Patidar

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 18, 2015
    I am trying to build the Eyewriter-2.0 but stuck with the items which I am unable to find for buying
    I did tried all the links for buying the MOSFET - IRL3714ZPBF but all the places the items is not available because its obsoleted now.

can anybody help me finding the alternative similar for the MOSFET. I don't have much knowledge about the MOSFET was trying to follow the tutorials.

A pointer will be much helpful, I am trying to build this for my father who is completely paralyzed.
  2. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Its pretty much the D2Pak (SMD TO220) variety you find on old motherboards

Voltage rating is usually somewhere around 20 - 30V - current rating is usually at least 50A, 70 - 80A isn't exactly rare.

Judging by the small size of the ferrite toroids on motherboards, the switching frequency is likely pretty fast.

Some motherboards have about 4 - 6 of these MOSFETs, so you can get them for free - the downside is if you need to heatsink the devices. You can solder to a plate of copper, but you'll need an isolated heatsink for each device, you can clamp them to an aluminium heatsink with the possibility of an electrical insulating silicone thermal pad.

If you have to go for the TO220 with leads, I'd try Fairchild - they have a special range of very fast MOSFETs for this sort of thing.