Alternate use solar charge controller. Help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gadgets4grls, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gadgets4grls

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hope someone might be able to help on this project.

I'm looking to add a second/third battery (SLA) to my Kia Soul to run a Ham Radio while the vehicle is off.

I've already considered traditional automotive dual battery solutions but I don't want something that's permanently fixed in just one vehicle.

I want the battery and radio setup to be portable between vehicles. So looking around I've found solar charge controllers and wonder if they might work for my solution.

What I want to do is be able to plug the controller into a cigarette plug (10 amps max) and have it hooked to the controller which is than hook to the batteries and radio.

Now my question is will this do what I want which is charge the batteries when the car is running and supply power to the radio at the same time.

What I'm thinking is 1 or 2, 35 AH SLA batteries and a Kenwood D710A radio. Radio has a max draw of 13 amps so that exceeds the cig plugs capacity but not the batteries.

The controller I was consider is a HQTP 20A.

Any ideas or opinions if the is going to do what I want.

Thanks for any help
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    I think you have a good chance of this working but you'll have trouble if the radio actually draws 13A, even more so while the battery is also in need of charge. There's nothing to limit the current on the accessory plug except a fuse. You might need a current limiter of some kind to prevent blowing the fuse, and thereby force the radio to draw current from the batteries instead.