Almost finished my first (proper) embedded project!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by BrianH, May 5, 2009.

1. BrianH

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I have pretty much finished my first *real* embedded project. I've been trying to learn C for a little while and, whilst I have written some small programs along the way, this is my first attempt at solving a real problem from start to finish using my new found skills.

The project is an RC5 decoder. I'm sure a few others will have done this kind of thing before, but to satisfy my own curiosity and academic interest I have written my own program to do it. The program accepts the demodulated data from the IR receiver, measures the length of the first start bit, then checks against pre-defined tolerances to decide if it's likely to be a valid RC5 transmission or not. If it is, the length of the start bit is stored and used in conjunction with regular synchronising points to sample each manchester coded bit at its half-way point (or close to it anyway).

Once the toggle bit, the address bits and the command bits have been collected, the program outputs to an LCD display routine (which I also wrote myself) to show the data it has received.

What else does the project do? Well... nothing after that to be honest! In practice I could use it to control pretty much anything I wanted, but the goal was more academic than anything else. I was extremely elated when I got it working though!!!! :D

I tried a couple of old remote controls I have laying around the house and compared the received data with some information I found on the internet. I could hardly control my excitement when they matched!!!

So anyway, I thought this was the perfect forum with which to share my excitement ;)

Please see images attached which show it working on prototyping board. I've designed a PCB as well, but I'm still waiting for all the materials I need to have a go at making it (it'll be my first home PCB).

:D :D :D

2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Nice job!

I suggest that this thread be moved to 'The Projects Collection' forum, as it is a completed project, and it can be preserved for posterity and enjoyment there.
  3. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Looks good! Success is always nice to hear about.

Good luck with the PCB!
  4. BrianH

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I didn't realise there was a separate forum for completed projects. I guess if I were to put it in there I'd also need to upload a schematic, a parts list and source code. I have absolutely no problem with that (I'm happy to share work etc) but I have a couple of minor bugs I'd like to clear up before I put my name to it!

Will post the final version soon!