All Electronics LCD-3162

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tracecom, Mar 8, 2013.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I recently bought a 2x16 LCD from All Electronics for $5.95. I knew when I ordered it that there was no data sheet, and that the LED backlight polarity was reversed from normal. I also knew that the LED backlight was dim. But I bought it anyway.

When it arrived, I realized that the connection pins were too short to use with a solderless breadboard or even with female header pin connectors. They were long enough to solder, and I wanted to use the display.

So, I created an adapter for the display that would allow me to (1) correct the polarity of the LED backlight, (2) use the display on a solderless breadboard or with a female header pin connector, and (3) use a serial backpack on the LCD. Attached are a few pics, which should be self-explanatory. I won't post all the pictures that I have, but if you want to see more, or get them in hi res, just ask.

All in all, the results are neat, but probably don't justify the time I spent.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Nice..
    I am always amazed at the amount of work some of you guys go through to try to fix junk/stuff.
    Of course my wife might be happier if I did actually spend the time to fix stuff versus just letting it collect in my garage till I really..really need it. Shes always like.."why did you buy that..you have one of those "thingamabobs" in the garage already" :)

3. patricktoday

Feb 12, 2013
    Hey, that's great! Looks like it worked very well. I have one of those (a similar one) which came with no pins at all, just the holes. I haven't wired it up yet but I was planning on soldering some male header pins to it when I get around to it.

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Nice work!

How much does that TTL -> LCD converter backpack cost?

First one I've seen that supports Dual Row connector LCDs in addition to the standard 16 pin. I wish the Bus Pirate LCD adapter had a dual row header on the board so an extra cable wasn't needed for testing.

5. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    It's only $14 in kit form. The one in my photo is about three years old. Check out the current version. http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/lcd117-kit

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I'm beginning to suspect we're all bozos on this bus.

[​IMG]