All Electronics LCD-3162

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tracecom, Mar 8, 2013.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I recently bought a 2x16 LCD from All Electronics for $5.95. I knew when I ordered it that there was no data sheet, and that the LED backlight polarity was reversed from normal. I also knew that the LED backlight was dim. But I bought it anyway.

When it arrived, I realized that the connection pins were too short to use with a solderless breadboard or even with female header pin connectors. They were long enough to solder, and I wanted to use the display.

So, I created an adapter for the display that would allow me to (1) correct the polarity of the LED backlight, (2) use the display on a solderless breadboard or with a female header pin connector, and (3) use a serial backpack on the LCD. Attached are a few pics, which should be self-explanatory. I won't post all the pictures that I have, but if you want to see more, or get them in hi res, just ask.

All in all, the results are neat, but probably don't justify the time I spent.
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I am always amazed at the amount of work some of you guys go through to try to fix junk/stuff.
    Of course my wife might be happier if I did actually spend the time to fix stuff versus just letting it collect in my garage till I really..really need it. Shes always like.."why did you buy have one of those "thingamabobs" in the garage already" :)
  3. patricktoday

Feb 12, 2013
    Hey, that's great! Looks like it worked very well. I have one of those (a similar one) which came with no pins at all, just the holes. I haven't wired it up yet but I was planning on soldering some male header pins to it when I get around to it.
  4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Nice work!

How much does that TTL -> LCD converter backpack cost?

First one I've seen that supports Dual Row connector LCDs in addition to the standard 16 pin. I wish the Bus Pirate LCD adapter had a dual row header on the board so an extra cable wasn't needed for testing.
  5. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    It's only $14 in kit form. The one in my photo is about three years old. Check out the current version.
  6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I'm beginning to suspect we're all bozos on this bus.