Algorithm for FIR filters

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
18F family - Assembler.

I intend to program a micro to filter (FIR) a noisy audio signal. Prior starting to code I would like to be sure I got it right, thus my questions:

1) Basis this sequence http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af124/atferrari/FIRalgorithm.jpg, am I right if I implement this:?

V0 = Vin0 * h0
Output V0 to DAC
Wait delay time

V1 = (Vin1 * h1) + V0
Output V1 to DAC
Wait delay time

V2 = (Vin2 * h2) + V1
Output V2 to DAC
Wait delay time

VN-2 = (VinN-2 * hN-2) + VN-3
Output VN-2 to DAC
Wait delay time

VN-1 = (VinN-1 * hN-1) + VN-2
Output VN-1 to DAC
Wait delay time

V0 = Vin0 * h0 (??)
Output V0 to DAC
Wait delay time
2) When repeating the sequence with the following set of samples, is VN-1 from the old one, added to V0 of the new set?

3) If I process the signal off-line and do the output to the DAC module at a later time I will be using the same delay used for sampling, right?
The only way to go is using high priority interrupts to ensure a steady pace. Do you agree?

4) I have no access to MATLAB nor the so called "clones" which I do not plan to install for now. Any suggestion for a free software that I could use to calculate coefficients, maybe online?

5) Not now but in the future I expect the signal to be also affected by echoes of itself? What type of filter should I consider?

6) Have read on the necessity of an analog antialising filter previous to the ADC. Any comments?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely new to all this. Gracias for any help

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
VHDL Source for FIR Filter

Well commented, 32 tap filter.

For your other question: Offline processing/filtering is done a byte or few at a time, and as some signals cannot be processed realtime, the results are saved at the bitrate they were read once processing is complete.