ALGEBRAIC Techniques

Discussion in 'Math' started by deeps01, Nov 3, 2004.

1. deeps01

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    yo ppl! just recently started studying algebraic techniques!

And im having difficulties simplifying algebra
    - - - - - - --
    e.g abcde +acd +acfgh +abcde +acde +eh

I dont know where to start ...

any one can help me ??

please e - mail me ASAP

D - ROB
  2. Perion

Oct 12, 2004
    There's no set method - but there are many mini-methods or principles - for simplifying expressions and for some expressions it can even be difficult to decide which "simplified" result really is the simplest after manipulating the terms a couple dozen ways. Anyway, you want to use any valid mathematical procedures and/or properties at your disposal to factor, rearrange, and combine terms in order to make the expression the smallest, least confusing, and more user friendly as possible.

Here's a few basic Rules of Thumb for simplifying expressions.

For the example you gave:
    exp1: abcde +acd +acfgh +abcde +acde +eh

After combining the like terms (abcde + abcde), the simplest form would be:
    exp2: 2abcde + acd + acde + acfgh + eh

There are no more like terms. Though, using the distributive property in reverse, you could change this expression into many other forms like:
    exp3: acd(2be + 1 + e) + h(acfg + e)

The expanded form like exp2 is usually considered the simplest form.

Now - here's how to simplify ANY expression: Get a copy of Mathematica and use the Simplify function ;)

3. Perion

Oct 12, 2004
    My bad :( - You're talking about Boolean simlification. Didn't notice the not lines above the terms. They don't line up - use underline formatting for not terms - like:

abcde = a AND NOT b AND c AND NOT d AND e

See the Boolean section HERE - especially the section on RULES FOR SIMPLIFICATION