Alcohol tobacco and drugs

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Since we are forum for electronics. And the fact is also that we have many young members. Would it be an idea to add discussions on alcohol, tobacco, and drugs to the restricted topics in the TOS. Drugs have always been a no-no on this forum. But I think we can live very well also by not having any topics on the other two, tobacco and alcohol

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This is a valid point and I promise you that we, the moderators, will discuss it.

The problem with all these legalities, is that the more we restrict, the more some people will feel muffled.
I don't like the guns talks, personally, but I am aware of the majority of US frequent members.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect drugs already fall under the ToS restrictions. If I see it I will close it, but I am frequently tired and just scanning. Sometimes it has to be explained. I have also made some real bone head mistakes in the past due to tired computing.

Making alcohol, as in distilling, is also a banned subject, though it is discussed among moderators first. Beer making is an old art, so it tends to slide.

Which leaves tobacco. That is currently legal just about everywhere. However, I am open on the subject of not allowing it. It will be discussed.

One of the current debates is if it is legal in the rest of the world, but not in the USA, does it fly under the ToS or not? I have taken the stand it does not (hence the distilled spirits ban), however this is also being debated among the moderators.

The converse is also true. The rest of the world does not understand the mania the US has about guns (one I happen to share BTW, I own my share). The rules are all over the place, with the Netherlands requiring citizens to serve and keep their government issue firearms to outright bans in England and Australia. It may pass we end up going the way of automotive threads, due to the variation of laws they become a unwelcome topic here on AAC. I suspect we would loose a lot of US citizens on this one.

The core of this though is we are All About Circuits. I monitor the off topic closely, because that is where most trouble starts. It is a side show though, not the main attraction, which seems to elude some folks.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In my country alcohol tobacco are controlled substances. You have to be 18 to purchase alcohol with a alcohol percentage below 21% And 21 years old to purchase any stronger than that. You also have to be 18 to purchase tobacco. The age then you legally can purchase alcohol and tobacco will vary from country to country. And as I understand in USA in some cases from state to state. In some areas alcohol is not allowed at all. My idea behind this. Is that we do have many members below the legal age for alcohol/tobacco. To avoid any (more) controversy about these topics. It is better to just say no as a protective measure. It will not degrade the quality of the forum in any way.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I tend to forget you are not in the USA, since it is not on your header. Those rules tend to be the same in the USA, tobacco and alcohol are both federally mandated. States can tighten the restrictions, but they can not loosen them. There is even a US government agency for it, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (don't ask me why they lumped them together). They also cover explosives.

I really wouldn't want to kiddiefy the forum too much, but I am also willing to go along with the consensus (or the rules of the ToS).

This strongly reminds me of the beginning of the debate of the automotive restrictions.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Can I add my .02? I am an active home brewer and have used the education I have received here to improve my brewing system. I am building a completely automated control system for handicapped brewers currently. So my interests are other than purely electronics, but related. As long as I keep my brewing secondary to the electronics I see no issue with using the knowledge I have gained for a perfectly legal pursuit. On the other hand, I do not endorse, or promote what I do to others on the forum. I merely mention it so that other brewing members will understand what part of the process I am undertaking to control. So I think some latitude should be exercised based on the gist of the posts rather than the actual content. If for instance I was promoting distilling for underage use that should be closed, but discussing a timer to measure wort boil time should not. Just my .02. Thanks for the chance to put my 2 cents worth in.

Wheelchair Bob

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've never seen the word, "Tobacco" on this site until this thread. It doesn't seem like a problem. I don't drink, so I don't care about alcohol or who studies it or what they do with it. I do worry about a government that disarms its law abiding citizens. It isn't only about the ability to defend themselves against criminals. It reminds me of the old saying about how a despot always worries about when the people will dethrone him but an honest government has no such fears.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
If I drink (what I do, from time to time, red only, thank you) and I mention here for whatever reason, does it mean what? That I drink, from time to time and I am saying it. Pretty much trivial / useless information that cannot / should be not construed in any other sense.

Aren't we looking for ghosts? Sorry, as Número Doce (#12) says, first time I hear tobacco here. (No I do not smoke anymore. More than 33 years ago. Feeling better. Thanks).

Frequents here are focused on electronics, so...?

Where in the World are you, t06? Sorry but I forgot that.:confused:

BTW, locally, alcohol consumption has increased crazily amongst youngsters. My, they are just kids...!

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
First, let me say that while I am a strident 2nd Amendment supporter (and I imagine even the non-U.S. folks know what that means), I am even more so (if that's possible) a supporter of property rights. As far as I am concerned, the folks that own this forum have the right to establish whatever rules they want on this forum. If they ask for my input, I will give it. Whether they ask for it or not or whether they listen to it or not is up to them. If they decide to ban discussions of guns, alcohol, tobacco, golf, frisbees, or anything else that is there right. I then, of course, have the right to choose to no longer participate in the forum. For myself, the forum is about electronics and as long as I believe the intend of such a ban is to maintain a tighter focus on electronics I will probably still participate. It would only be if I concluded that such a ban was the result of a political agenda that I would leave (even if I supported the agenda).

In general, I don't see a problem with allowing such discussions in the Off Topics forum as long as they aren't intentionally promoting illegal behavior (and, yes, what is legal in one place may be illegal in another, but that is the reality of an international forum). I'll leave it up to the mods to make the judgement call on when a discussion ventures too far in that direction and accept the judgement they make.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
T06, where does the concern lie? I feel like this must be inspired by one or more posts recently but I can't find any that raise flags.