ALCOHOL SENSOR

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by AJIN NADH, Dec 23, 2014.

1. AJIN NADH

Thread Starter Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Hi,
    I am trying to bulid a high accuracy alcohol detector, Am now using MQ-03, and found that its responsing slightly for other gases, Can anybody suggest any high sensitivity alcohol sensor, or Can i improve the sensitivity using Mq 03.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
  3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I can give you my ex-wifes Email. :)

#12 and sirch2 like this.
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Are you worried about specificity or sensitivity? If sensitivity, how sensitive do you need it to be? Are you committed to the MQ-03 or can you consider other technologies?

John

5. AJIN NADH

Thread Starter Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Yes i give importance to the sensitivity, Need to use other sensor..?

NEED TO SENSE ALCOHOL ONLY...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I am assuming that by "alcohol" you mean ethanol (ethyl alcohol) specifically, not the whole class of alcohols or related aldehydes and ketones. It appears you want both improved specificity (i.e., detect ONLY ethyl alcohol) and improved sensitivity (i.e., you want to detect lower levels of ethanol).

Is that assumption correct? If so, what level of sensitivity in mg/L do you need? BTW, here is a link to the datasheet at SparkFun: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/MQ-3.pdf

If you are considering using it in a breath analyzer, then compounds like benzene and hexane are unlikely to be present. But acetone may be present.

John