Album Picture Limits

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Wendy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I've almost maxed out my album limits, I'm down to 12 pictures allowed to upload. I can start trimming, but this will leave a lot of older posts without my illustrations, is there a way to up this limit on my account, or should I start doing things a bit differently?

I had thought the various subsections were separate, but like all assumtions this one has risen to bite me on the buttocks.

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    The limits have been increased, you should have no issue now Bill.

In the interests of ensuring the settings are appropriate, can I ask what is the size of your largest image, Bill?

Dave

3. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Most of my pics are small, around 200X200 or so, but the current limit of 800X800 is more than enough. The biggest I've used is the Resistor Storage pics, which were real pictures, not schematics.

It the increase across the board for everyone, or just my account?

Thank you.

4. m4yh3m

Apr 28, 2004
    don't forget places like photobucket for larger pics

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks Bill. Actually I meant file size (kBs) - this may not be easy to find out easily, so don't worry if you don't know. I just want to ensure the file size limits are appropriate.

It is universal.

Dave (5000)

6. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    My .png files seem to be running around 10KB, and my .gif/.jpg are under 2Kb, as a rough average. The .png is more accurate, and has to be used sometimes, but I think I'll go to the .gif for most formats, the size differences are pretty significant.

If the need arises sometime in the distant future may I open a separate account just for the album use? I could also start using the attachments function, but I really like how the {img} function works, and the appearance of it is much prettier.

I have a photo bucket account, and was using it. I like the local hosting much better though, much less chance of a broken link. The only real improvement I could suggest with the VB albums is the ability to save with replace function, so I could update pictures without having to redefine links every time. If the picture is an old one it is impractical, I'm now over a 1000 posts.

7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for the information Bill. The current image limit is 200kBs, but that may be too large - we could always do the quantity Vs quality trade-off.

That said, the total attachment load for the entire forum is only ~250MBs, so I may be overstating the load images make on the forums. I'll have a chat with Rob about this and we'll come to some sort of suitable level.

It would be wrong of me to encourage usage of another user account (even though I have a standard account, but only for standard user account testing purposes!) I think we should try and tailor the settings so that they are suitable for users needs. We can certainly work a compromise that is in everyones interest :)

Agreed, the IMG function is very good, particularly its in-line capabilities.

The broken link is the key to the Albums feature, and since its addition in v3.7.0 I have been pleased that we now have this feature local. Save with replace doesn't appear to be a standard feature - I will confirm this is the case - perhaps there is an add-on that will enable this? This goes on the list as it is very much a good idea.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

8. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I'll start deleting the schematics I KNOW are bogus, unless they are there to prove a point. If people request info on an old thread I'll update them. I've embarrassed myself yet again in this thread, you think with experience I would know I have to breadboard stuff before releasing it. This one is a doozy, I've used the concept in many places. My thought is accuracy is probably more important, and I'm getting to like the taste of crow. It's true what they say about experience, it recognizing when you've made the same mistake again. If I was in the college environment I guess this would be a really bad grade, but since I'm not I'll live with embarrassment.

Since schematics are mostly B&W I don't think there is a serious quality issue with small sizes on pictures.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008