airsoft - WIRELESS DETONATOR

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
8 AA's should be fine for receiver & single igniter. Thumbnail is for single or multiple paralled igniters. IRF540N was suggested by wayneh & looks like a good choice as it allows 22A of firing current & probably up to 80A in this use. Suggest C or D cell batteries for firing ckt. Some C & D cells are AAs wraped up in C & D clothing.

Attachments

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
I take it the ignition wire goes where the I is on the diagram.(crock clips either side of that?) Would this mean I would only need up to 6v rather than 12v? (the receiver is rated for 12v)

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
Yes, I stands for igniter. For multiple igniters, need more battery current capacity, so need for seperate battery pack. Seems that most hobby type igniters, inc Estes, are about 1/2Ω & require 2A.
Must have pushed wrong button? Suposed to be a response to another post.

So that wireless device i selected would run on 6v, and the current for one ignitor would be around the 2A mark?

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
I have written a few questions on this drawing (to help my thick skull get around this) also where abouts would my on/off switch go to cut all power off, just after the battery +v ?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Ebay IRF540N looks OK to me. SW-2 is optional and servs no real purpose. Yes- NO goes to 100 & 1kΩ resistors, then to gete. The 1kΩ resistor is necessary to insure that the gate is never floating. Ignitian wire= firing line.

Attachments

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
so the 1000 ohm resistor goes between the S and just before the 100 ohm resistor on the G?

Will I need to use two power sources? if the device operates on 6v and not just 12v then how would/ could I wire it with one 6v power source?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You can stack two batteries of different capacity to give 12V, with a 6V, 5Ah SLA or NICD or NIMH for firing & AA's to make up the other 6V. Alkaline batteries have a medium high resistance, D cell @ .136Ω which is not good for a multi A load.

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
so the aa's would be ok for powering the unit but not so good on firing multi pyro.

would i just take two leads from the current 6v battery in the drawing above and then wire it in series to a 6v battery (where the 12v battery is above)?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I just read through this whole post, and the last page multiple times I must have missed something but I can't figure out, Why are you splitting up the power supply, just so that you can deliver 6V to the igniters instead of 12V? It would be simpler and better (IMO) to use a single 12V battery (or battery bank) to power everything. And, I would *assume* that those camera batteries would be capable of putting out enough current. you may consider putting some capacitors in the circuit to assist with current demand, depending how long it takes to ignite.

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
Strantor_ im not really sure why the voltage is split, on the one you can purchase operates on 4xaa batterys, its the same receiver system so the unit may operate on 6v. can you draw your suggestion like the previous drawings, so I can understand your thoughts?

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
Also I would think that 2a at 6v woukd be enough to ignite the electric pyro. Electric pyro has wires attached to it rather than a physical light with a heat sourse such as a naked flame etc

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Strantor_ im not really sure why the voltage is split, on the one you can purchase operates on 4xaa batterys, its the same receiver system so the unit may operate on 6v. can you draw your suggestion like the previous drawings, so I can understand your thoughts?
I didn't see anything to indicate that the wireless unit can operate on 6V. It says on the ebay page, 12V. So, you need 12V for the unit, why the additional 6V source for the firing? Why not use the same 12V? like so:

This uses a single power supply, and (the premise is that...) the big capacitor will store enough energy to deliver sufficient amps to your igniters, even if you chose to power the circuit with something feeble, like AAA batteries. But, this will depend on the size of the capacitor and how long the igniters need to be powered before detonation occurs. (how long is that time span, BTW?)

Attachments

billy breach

Joined Jul 31, 2011
Because the pyro has cables already attached I would say, when using one its about A SECOND. (thats only roughly). What size of capacitor would I need?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What size of capacitor would I need?
I only have ideas, with no science or math to back them up. If I was building this, I would just figure out a size through trial & error, testing. Wait for Bernard to come back and see if he signs off on the idea. He'll probably have a good idea for a size if so.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What size of capacitor would I need?
EDIT:
I figure you want to discharge 2A for 1 second. I figure you want the capacitor doing most of the work, not the batteries. I figure in order to do that, you would want to keep the event within one RC time constant, and you would want that time constant to be at least 1 second. When I do the math, you need. a .25F capacitor or larger.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
5 of these in series would handle 12V, and would would give you an equivalent 2F, more than enough. You might want to charge them with your batteries via a resistor though, because they are going to appear as a dead short to your batteries.