Airless tires...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
You are absolutely right! Without air conditioning, Florida would still belong to the alligators and mosquitoes. During my 30 years as a Florida Air Conditioning Contractor, I always checked the, "heat index" to see what resources I must have available to survive. Without those, the job doesn't happen.
Said job being complected to no small extent, I can but imagine, by the classification of chlorinated refrigerants as 'controlled substances'? -- Where oh where would we be sans Big Bro's grasping guiding hand!!!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Want to talk about grasping? Oak Ridge was leaking 9,750 pounds of refrigerant per year (from just 21 of their air conditioners) when a law was passed requiring me to have automatic shut off valves on the 1/4 inch hoses for my pressure gauges. :eek:

Not as bad as being charged with, "possession of controlled substances with intent to distribute" :D, but hypocritical in the extreme. :mad:

Actually, the requirements to be certified for the refrigerant laws was a one day course. No big deal because anybody with a lick of sense learns how to avoid leaks just because refrigerant gasses cost money. :rolleyes: It was like sending monkeys to school to teach them how to avoid misplacing their bananas. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Want to talk about grasping? Oak Ridge was leaking 9,750 pounds of refrigerant per year (from just 21 of their air conditioners) when a law was passed requiring me to have automatic shut off valves on the 1/4 inch hoses for my pressure gauges. :eek:
'Tis the old mantra: "do as we say not as we do...":rolleyes:

Actually, the requirements to be certified for the refrigerant laws was a one day course. No big deal because anybody with a lick of sense learns how to avoid leaks just because refrigerant gasses cost money. :rolleyes: It was like sending monkeys to school to teach them how to avoid misplacing their bananas. :D
How truly the 'carrot' (CIP economy secondary to conservation of materials) is mightier than the 'stick' (e.g. "cause I/the law said/says so!!!!") -- An observation seemingly lost upon authoritarians, and more than a few parents;)

The PDF said:
Chillers totaling, 7859 tons capacity...
Say what!? That'd be upwards ninety four million BTU/Hr!!!?? --- Haven't they heard of insulation, or, for that matter, window glass???:eek: --- Soooo nice to know our tax dollars are going for a good cause!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You might also notice that Oak Ridge accomplished their design goal of only leaking 3,900 pounds of refrigerant per year after retrofits.

One might say, "All the installers and repairmen in the country can lose a lot of refrigerant by allowing their 1/4 inch measurement hoses to vent to the atmosphere." You could also say, "Our government owns a lot more buildings than there are in Oak Ridge Tennessee." ;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
And going back to topic.... those airless tires might be excellent candidates for this vehicle:

I want one of those toys! View attachment 89675
Indeed! there's something almost 'organic' in the 'flow' of its suspension articulation (à la a 'bionic' quadrupedal spider) --- Seriously, the 'fusion' of legs and wheels in such manner that the best of both modes is realized approaches perfection of ATVs and, IMO, surface vehicles in general - here we see a significant step in that direction!:cool:

Many thanks for the Video:)

Best regards
HP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Off-Topic 10