Air Cored Inductor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, May 15, 2013.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    I am trying to build a Lead acid battery zapper mk3 and the circuit requires a couple air cored inductors but I can't seem to find on mouser website ???
    Can this components be replaced with something else with out affecting the circuit ??

[​IMG]

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    An air core inductor is usually wound by the builder from solid copper wire. The schematic usually tells the builder the number of turns, diameter of core and wire thickness.

Is there more information than the schematic?

3. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I have no other info but I am trying to cut down the pdf file so I can post up to help out alittle ...

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    One of these may work for you.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Right. Look in speaker builders websites or use the air core equation:

L in microhenries = [MR x n]^2/(9MR + 10length)
    where MR = mean radius in inches and length is in inches and n is the number of turns. Bit of a bother to re-calculate until you get the right radius for today's wire gauge, etc.

The advantage to winding your own is that you can use fairly skinny wire, depending on the actual current used.

6. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    #12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Only after you enter an inductance value do you find that the information you need for the current level is in the answer page. That calculator assumes that the core diameter is always the same as the size of the windings, so you can probably make smaller coils after the drudgery of mathing it down to a smaller core size. Still, it's a helpful page.

Thanks, Killjoy.