Air Conditioner Fan Motor

Discussion in 'Technical Repair' started by Jdeer0422, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jdeer0422

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Ok I have a question. My fan motor went out on my air conditioner I ordered and received a new on now I go to hook it up and the old motor had 5 wires the new one has 6. I cannot get any power to the motor "no hum, smoke or buzz" the wire I'm trying to figure out is marked "line" enclosed is the diagram. I have hooked up the brown and yellow to the capacitor but I'm wondering if I got it wrong "they are both on the fan side" please help if able. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You have a power line, probably 240 volts. It has 2 wires for current and one as a safety ground. One of the power wires goes to the fan speed switch and the other one gets connected to orange.

3. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    Ok lookin at the back of the control panel. The two yellow go to the temperature switch the other goes to the power cord

4. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    Here's a picture image.jpeg

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Your motor doesn't have 2 yellow wires, and the one it does have goes to a capacitor.
    One of the problems is that you have a dual section capacitor and the fan wants a "stand alone" capacitor.
    Did you buy a capacitor to fit the fan motor?
    Do you have the quality of ohm meter that can tell you if either of the capacitor wires is really connected to orange, internally?
    If one side of the power line is connected to the dual section capacitor, can you work with that as a power line connection?

This is the kind of mix&match where you have to know how electricity works. I can do it, but that's my day job. Right now, you're having difficulty counting yellow wires and that's going to make communication very difficult.

6. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    Looking at the power line coming in one goes to the speed switch as pictured above (the white wire) the other goes to the capacitor

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's better. The fat, grey with black ribbed wire is one of the Line wires.
    You don't have 2 yellows on the speed switch, you have a yellow and a "yellow with black".
    That fat ribbed wire is part of the power cord. The other fat wire in the power cord is the other, "line"

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Here's the problem: One motor wire to the capacitor is usually connected internally to one of the line wires. You don't have brown and brown with white, so I can't tell you, "brown with white is the same as line". Either you have the skills and meter to prove it is, or isn't, or you need to use a single capacitor to fit the fan motor. Take inventory.

9. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    i have a basic theory of electricity but by no means am I an electrician. Do you think it'd be best to get a separate stand alone capacitor for the brown and yellow off the motor then run the power line off the capacitor to orange? I retread your earlier post and see what you are talking about now.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes. You should get a single capacitor to fit the motor. That removes most of the doubt from the situation.

11. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    I have my ohmmeter at work I will bring it home tomorrow to test.

#12 likes this.
  12. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    And I'll pick up the other capacitor too. I appreciate your help.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I probably sound redundant but, you can't take minimal skills and no meters and redesign air conditioner wiring.
    I'm good at this and I couldn't do it without a meter, even if I was there in person.
    Better to use the motor diagram and avoid any changes in the A/C wiring, just to keep it as simple as possible.

14. Jdeer0422

Jul 27, 2016
    I got it going tonight. I had to join the orange line wire to the common along with the brown wire.

wayneh likes this.