Air cond. fan motor wont run

snuffy

Joined Sep 23, 2005
Hopefully I've come to the right place. Haven't gotten much help from the camping forums.
I have a travel trailer with a 13,500btu air conditioner. I discovered the fan was not blowing air. Up to the top and removed the shroud. The fan was not locked up and would start when spinning by hand. So I got another start capacitor and it still would not start. Thought it might be the motor so I got a new motor and before removing, I cut the wires and connected to the new motor. Same problem.
Could there be a problem with the run capacitor or would it be the control board inside? I haven't measured the voltage coming to the motor yet but will tomorrow.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
It probably won't be the run cap since you said it will run when started by hand. Checking voltahe going to the motor should have been one of the first things you did but better late than never ;). Plz post your V readings :).thx l8er

-fire

snuffy

Joined Sep 23, 2005
Originally posted by Firestorm@Sep 23 2005, 11:02 PM
It probably won't be the run cap since you said it will run when started by hand. Checking voltahe going to the motor should have been one of the first things you did but better late than never ;). Plz post your V readings :).thx l8er

-fire
[post=10546]Quoted post[/post]​
Yeah I know I should have checked the voltage but it seemed like the least likely trouble. Frozen shaft, bad start capacitor, and bad motor were the most likely troubles or so I thought. Now it sounds like either low voltage or a bad control board. I'm almost sure it's not going to be low voltage or if it is it would be caused by a defective control board. Just my luck.

snuffy

Joined Sep 23, 2005
This morning climbed back on top of the TT and read the voltage. Getting 120 volts to the motor and capacitor. Tested the run capacitor and it shows to be bad. Got a used one from the RV place and it tests good. Put everything back together and fan runs fine. Got back inside and cut fan off and turn thermostat on and nothing. Maybe I left off a wire on the run capacitor or it is not big enough. Hopefully I haven't fried the control board in this process. After I cool off I'm going back to recheck everything.

snuffy

Joined Sep 23, 2005
I had my battery disconnected and after reconnecting it and operating the fan and cool switches on the thermostat, I plugged back in to the AC power and now everything works. Not sure what happened. Maybe something on the control board. But now it is working fine and that's all that counts. Thanks for the replies.

Sebi

Joined Sep 24, 2005
Originally posted by snuffy@Sep 24 2005, 09:46 PM
I had my battery disconnected and after reconnecting it and operating the fan and cool switches on the thermostat, I plugged back in to the AC power and now everything works. Not sure what happened. Maybe something on the control board. But now it is working fine and that's all that counts. Thanks for the replies.
[post=10576]Quoted post[/post]​
Maybe the control board always need the reset.