Agressive marketing

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I spotted this on Ebay - looks like TI are buying search keywords which are Microchip part numbers.

Attachments

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Just search for almost anything on Google and get advertisements from Ask.com.

The marketing departments at major semiconductor companies scare me - they are completely incompetent. If I want a chip, I'll find it based on parametrics and past experience, not marketing. They don't know or want to know their target market.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Just search for almost anything on Google and get advertisements from Ask.com.

The marketing departments at major semiconductor companies scare me - they are completely incompetent. If I want a chip, I'll find it based on parametrics and past experience, not marketing. They don't know or want to know their target market.

TI is trying to get both AVR and PIC hobbyists to use their new uCs. They are selling them at a very affordable cost, or were, not sure if the $10 for all kit is available yet or not.

When companies go "cutthroat" against competitors, I usually stay away from them at that point. In this example, I won't even bother with the TI board, it's something else to learn and not as capable for the same price.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I like competition. That's why PC's don't still cost $4000. In fact, correcting for inflation, they would cost about like a new car.

John

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I like competition. That's why PC's don't still cost $4000. In fact, correcting for inflation, they would cost about like a new car.

John
It's not just competition. I love competition. This is one area where software needs to improve. Microsoft and Adobe, two examples of companies that have monopolies too large for anyone to really compete with them seriously.

Prices are also low due to consumer demand of low cost applications, otherwise only the most expensive devices would have "computer control." On an unrelated note, does anyone find it annoying that a washing machine, dryer, refrigerator - whatever - with a small microcontroller in it is called "computer controlled"?

(Disclaimer: I'm doing Economics in college.)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009

John
Comparing the two, such as similar to product Y with these features is fine. Blatantly using a competitors product name as your own for advertising isn't.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Google has been selling search terms from the get go. Why do you think target.com and toysrus.com come up when you search for gadolinium toys?

TI, Microchip, Microsoft, HP, Intel and so forth are not sissies. It's dog eat dog, and they are each very good at it. It is no more unfair than a fake field goal from the 40-yard line.

John