agc for tv

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
hi all
had a long standing problem with tv getting really loud during breaks and waking the kids and the neighbours up. so i am thinking of putting an agc in the scart between the satelite box and tv.using the L R audio.
spotted this circuit http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&AD=1&AD=1&ArticleID=6272

would appreciate any thoughts on this, for example this agc circuit is analogue, would i perhaps need digital?

many thanks
dougal

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
What do you mean by 'getting very loud during the break' ?

If you mean the sound is too loud why you dont turn the volume down or mute the tv?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That circuit would only work if placed between the volume control and the audio amplifier inside the tv set. It would probably take some fiddling to work correctly.

AGC circuits are often not very satisfactory with audio. They tend to respond to a continuous level, so you might find that the volume would vary in strange ways.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
TV commercials are compressed which makes them seem to be too loud. They are not any louder than the TV show but they are compressed so that the average volume is louder than it is supposed to be. The peak volume is the same as the show.

It takes brains (a computer) to determine that it is a commercial and that it needs de-compression. How much decompression?

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
thanks for replies
tv getting really loud during breaks
just done a google on this -legislation due july 7th.
dont hold your breath...
there are however technical problems for the sound engineers, because i watch mainly documentaries late evening,many of these are fairly quiet so the contrast is much greater, also many of these programs were recorded in analogue,and apparently its difficult to set levels

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I have cable TV. One TV is connected for analog and another TV is connected to a digital adapter.
They both sound exactly the same except the digital one has its sound delated about 1 second. On both of them the compressed commercials sound louder than the show.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The increased sound come from the station to get your
attention, they yell into the mike.There one guy with a
loud mouth speak's for about 10 different product's.
I get my queit t.v. from book t.v. on C-span you
will be surprised to hear the back and forth on so many book's
on weekend only,no ad's ever.

Last edited: