After market ignition key and remote?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Nov 22, 2014.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I asked this on a Subaru forum but no one ever responded. :( So I thought why not ask here where there are so many genius that I respect. :) But this one may or may not be for my state side friends.

I finally traded in my 15 year old Toyota for a new Subaru Forester. Never had a problem with keys till maybe a year ago when I lost my car key on a leaf covered bicycle trail. Fortunately I had a spare valet key with me and was able to start the car.

When I got home I ordered 2 keys and 2 remotes. It was cheap and the remote easy to program aas there was no chip in the key.

What are my options for getting a spare key and remote for my 2015 Subaru other than going to the dealer. Are there after market keys with chips that can be programmed by me?

One idea I saw was to get a flat normal key made at the hardware. It won't start the car but will open the door. Hide the spare remote and key inside the car. The alarm will sound till you have a chance to disarm with the spare.

I also might invest into one of those goofy looking key chains that clip onto your belt loop.

Oh and those Toyota keys? They came in the mail about a week after I lost them. Some nice lady found them and used the customer loyalty card from a local store to find my address. :)

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I don't know about where you are, but my local hardware store can replace a smart key for much less than a dealer.

spinnaker likes this.
  3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Cheers to the nice lady!

On the key front, I think you are stuck ordering the keys. Car thefts are way down because of the electronics used. The old Hondas and Toyotas are at the top of the "most stolen vehicle" only because the pre-2000 Hondas and Toyotas are the only old cars still on the road.

My son had his key replaced and the dealer had to check the VIN number, make a key, and plug something into the engine diagnostic port to reprogram something. I don't think a normal key will work beyond a quick unlock as you suggested, even that may fail.

strantor likes this.
  4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  5. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    And car jackings are way up from what I understand. Because it is so hard to steal a car while it is sitting, the criminals are getting desperate and taking them by force.

Yeah I can't find anything for newer cars. But I thought I read someplace that you can buy replacement keys elsewhere and the dealer was obligated to program them. Don't know if that is true.

What I am learning is that it is so expensive to buy a later model car. Higher insurance (which I expected), but requires synthetic oil, key replacement, luckily mine takes regular fas as opposed to premium like some others.

But cars are getting better and better. That SUV gets better gas mileage than my little Toyota and it is so solid. It is a real pleasure to drive (driving a 2024 loaner right now). Far better ride than my Toyota (even though I loved it) that would bottom out on the struts when going over a pot hole. And light years better than my Datsun that I bought a century ago.

I am going to have to get used to having a car payment again. I will bet it has been 20-25 years since I last had a car payment. Previous car I was able to pay cash and the one before that I kept 10+ years before buying a new car.

6. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
  7. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I am also in the NE. Which hardware store? Is it a chain? How do they program it?

8. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    It's a local hardware store - Richmonds in Braintree. But they're associated with Ace. I haven't replaced a key yet, so I cannot report on how it's programmed.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The Locksmith I drive past every day advertises special car keys. Maybe it isn't very difficult to get one (from the right place).

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Not sure of other makes, but my GM dealer quoted me $35.00 to program a spare smart key for my car, I checked around and found a link that showed the procedure, took around 20 secs.
    Max.

11. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

Where did you get the smart key?

12. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Apparently you need one of these

For the Subaru and looks like they don't have OEM keys for 2015s or at least all of the places I have checked.

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Nissan dealers charge $200 for keyless ignition key fob. I have full confidence that there is no other option, I bought my car from a used car dealer and, after insisting that I get two keys, the sales person gave me the receipt for the key - from the only Nissan dealer. They could not find another option.

14. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    GopherT - How long ago was that? In NE, places to buy smart keys, such as your local hardware store, just started appearing.

15. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I bought a 2011 Nissan in May 2013.

16. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

But I do not have keyless. Mine is keyed with remote start.

Also you lost me on the 2 key thing. :)

17. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    T
    The dealer only had one key for the car. I told them I would need two to close the deal. They expected they could find a $20 fob at Advance Auto Parts. Ended up that they could only get one at the dealer.

18. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Local locksmith.
    Max.

19. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    As an add-on to Max's comment. I have done the same. Spare aftermarket or used keys are not expensive. However, to program it, you may need two that are already programmed. You will need to check the Internet for procedures for your specific car.

John

20. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for the tip on two keys. I willkeep searching to see if there is a way I can do it otherwise go to a locksmith. Will do so right away in case I loose one.