AFK - not dead.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I think you have a genius on your hands there thatoneguy. You should help him with a pcb so that protoboard does not go falling apart.
Everything on the breadboard is secured with small dabs of hot glue. It is still a work in progress, and he keeps wanting to add things. We've made boards for other projects, but he doesn't like layout (heh, who really loves and lives for layout?).

More stuff is being added, next will be an I²C ADC to free up more pins for servos. Then possibly a GPS. The glue logic will get it's own board when we scale it up, but will probably stay with the modules, as one offs for a board everything would be a tad on the spendy side for this project.

Maybe BillO could make a board with all that the D-AXE provides, plus some elements from this once finished, to blow the wimpy "Boe-Bot" out of the water. :D

As for his username, he's in 7th-8th grade classes depending on the subject, and tends to get stuck building redstone logic in minecraft rather than forums. Up until he somehow stepped on his notebook, anyway. I'm very proud of him, and he is quite bright, though that as all most of us know, has it's own downsides as well.

--ETA: If he does sign up, he'll probably use "thatotherguy"

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Redstone circuits are an art their own and a challenge to build. I wish I had two selves and the other me would play Minecraft all day.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
This is awesome!

It is his, I don't get to see it much. I just help with stuff he isn't comfortable with (he's in 7th grade, super glue fumes bother him, crimping the 1x1 connectors, and that's about it). The design and all is his with little tips from me here and there. Most of the wires and breadboard components are held with hot glue, boards with double stick foam tape, and hinged access with the "Industrial" Velcro.

Here is the 1.0 Alpha version (1 month-ish ago). It's at his house where he programs it and keeps tweaking the program. Edge/floor sensors on the bottom, PICAXE-20X2 and Motor driver under the top lid, batteries and motors under that deck. The front breadboard is the "patch place" for power and signals, as well as the I²C buss, 20 port expander/LED driver, IR receiver, etc. I guess I never thought of taking many pictures of the project, I don't do that much.

Total parts cost as shown is economical from the Tamiya track/motor base, $100-$140 total depending on capabilities of motors, motor driver board, LiPo vs. AA batteries, etc.

Accelerometer is very useful for mild terrain to stop before tipping over, turn into hills, etc. It has negated the need for the protective hood over the sonar/servo, but looks neat, so he's keeping it. Upgrades for motors/tracks alone will be double that cost as well as the size, plus $30 for the Tank over-body as I already have lots of balsa/glass/carbon fiber from R/C Aircraft I've played with for over a decade. Current dimensions, including sonar hood are: 6" W x 8" L x 7.5" H