Aerosol soleniod.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all
I'm wondering if anyone here knows where I could get a small soleniod valve suitable for operating a marker spray, I would like to be able to control the spray with a pic, idealy directly so I'm looking for a low power 5v item? So far my search has turned up alot of 12v ones! I'm going to get a glade airfreshner and mug it to see if that's any good but thought someone may have a better idea!
. Cheers Geoff

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Thanks for the reply, had a search through their site, some interesting stuff there. I couldn't quite see what i was after though? I wanted to get a aerosol spray marker, attach a tube to it and us a soleniod valve to turn the spray on and off, it all needs to be lightwieght and hand held, their sprays looked like they used compressed air? The glade air freshener uses a little motor and a cam so that's not quite right either! Keep searching i suppose!
. Thanks for looking

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
When you say "marker spray," is this what you are referring to?

http://www.enasco.com/product/C20083N

And what you want to do is have a 5 V device for pushing the button?

And you want the device to be handheld, attached to the can?

And you want to activate the device with a pic somewhere, not attached to the can?

Does the spray come out the side of the button or out the top of the button?

I'm just trying to get a mental image of what you are after. Maybe if you posted a link to one of the 12 V devices you have found, that would help.

Last edited:

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
. Thanks for the reply, sorry I've been so long getting back on here. Yep that's the thing!
What I would like to do is have a pic decide when to 'mark'.
I was going to turn a bit of PVC rod to fit on the can and hold it 'on' , then run a bit of pipe to a soleniod then on to where the spray will come out.
I thought in a ideal world I might be able to get a 5v low power job and drive it directly with 5v from the pic? With a flyback diode being the only extra component.
In my search I have found a piezo aerosol thing which just needs a bulk liquid supply. Seems you have to buy the technology and get it manufactured though! Shame as it looked really good.
Thanks Geoff

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Have you measured the force required to press the button? I'm guessing at least 1 newton and that's going to need a MOSFET. Maybe adding a spring would reduce the force a bit, but the solenoid still isn't going to be driven by a PIC output pin.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's a lot more than 1 newton I would reckon, a couple of pounds force is typical on a normal sized paint can.

A gearmotor and cam type arrangement woild press it. Not many solenoids would, unless large and using a few amps.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies, I probably wasn't clear enough in my last post, but as I put in my first post I'm looking for a small soleniod valve. My idea is to lathe a bit of PVC to take the spray from the can to a valve. This bit of PVC will also hold the plunger of the can down so the normaly closed valve will be controling the spray output. I was hoping someone might know where I could get hold of a 5v soleniod valve suitable, most seem to be 12v for auto use I suppose?
Thanks Geoff

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Sorry for the long delay! I was going to suck it and see! The marker spray is no where near as thick as say car paint so I hope it won't gum up? At the moment just finding a 5 soleniod seems tricky, gems sensors do one but I have to buy 10!
Cheers Geoff