Advise, cyclic timer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by IJC, Mar 9, 2010.

1. IJC

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I was looking into making a timer which has two 110 outputs. The timer would simply close one of the outputs while simultaneoursly opening the other, id like for it to have a potentiometer in order to adjust the cycling from about 2 seconds to 5 second intervals.
    The idea is to have two aquarium "wave-making" pumps alternate.
    I did a search but was not able to find a timer with alternating outputs that cycle about 12 times a minute.
    So I guess the question is, is there a kit out there that does this? Or is there even just a schematic out there for this that I may use?
    :confused:
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    110V AC?? A 555 timer driving two triac output-optical couplers,one, with current limiting resistors,from V+,anode, cathode to pin 3; other, anode to pin 3,cathode to ground. See Bill Marsden's blog on 555. Coupler to power triac involves high V?? and is beyond our coverage.

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    A DPDT latching relay, connected to a 555 that outputs the latching pulse every 5 seconds should do nicely.

It would work just like a motor reversing setup. You can use a POT on the 555 to adjust the time between switches.

4. IJC

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Thanks for the response guys!
    Rather than using a DPDT, shouldn't I just need a SPDT?

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Yes, a SPDT will work "swimmingly". ;)