advice

strokebow

Joined Jan 26, 2008
Hi,

I know quite a lot about circuit theory.

But I struggle practically.

I know people who aren't so strong with the theory but they can come up with a circuit design and implement it with ease. I suppose that is due to experience.

So my question is, how can I best gain this practical experience? Can anyone testify of a project/practical book that they have used and gleaned from?

thanks

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just start building stuff.. Easy as that.. Like you said.."experience"
There is no better book than the internet IMO.. THOUSANDS of projects/tutorials/examples/videos,etc...
Find something you are interested in and just go for it.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
I am one who does not believe there is a disparity between theory and practice. So if you are strong on theory and weak on practice I say practice your practice. Build projects, analyse them theoretically and test them to see if they preform according to your understanding of the theory. When or if the two do not seem to match up, you need to ask why and as a result adjust your supposed theoretical knowledge and/or practical experience. Without proper theoritical/practical/analytical basis you will only be 'flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants'. And not to belittle that, it can get you a long ways but there will be holes in your total electronics abilities.

Theorize - Test - Analyse. When thouroughly done theory and practice come together in an amazing way!

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Maybe I haven't seen that funny video but I was a practicing electronics design engineer and my views are based on my EE education, Ham Radio hobby, and engineering career which spanned over 40 years. I don't argue that everyone should agree with my opinion but when one thinks there is a disparity between theory and practice they should ask why and not bury their head in the sand and go merrily on their way lest they short change themselves. Either our understanding of the theory is incomplete or wrong or our observations of a practical phenomenom are out of line with what is really happening.

I stand by my original post!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am one who does not believe there is a disparity between theory and practice.
+1
It takes a special kind of arrogance and hubris to declare you've discovered something novel - a flaw where established theory fails to predict your observation. The odds are SO much higher that you have simply misunderstood or misapplied your "theory". Accept it as a learning opportunity and resolve the discrepancy.

What a rare treat it is when you know an area well enough to recognize a genuine discrepancy when you see it. "Chance favors the prepared mind". In my experience, the discrepancies are small and easily missed, but can carry immense value. Mother nature does not often part her skirt for us.

And what the heck is wrong with those MIT boobs? Geez.