advice with hacked inverter

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
im working on a little project turning an old UPS into an inverter. i have a link to a video i made about it. i have a couple questions. could i beef up the inverter by simply putting bigger power fets/transistors in it? i plan on using bigger heatsinks and a fan to go with it. also, i know these arent designed to work with inductive loads. but say i wanted too, could i put snubbers on the power transistors to absorb inductive spikes? thank you for your input!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqr-4sFbCeQ&feature=plcp

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect not, mainly due to the transformer. It is the weak link in that circuit, you are probably using it at its maxed ratings already.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Bill is probably correct,the isolation transformer on the right side of the board looks to be pretty dinky compared to the unit's mains beast on the left.

So far as replacing the fets,would probably have a hard time finding any w/ the same switching/drive characteristics and higher power rating.

Maybe you could strap a few large AC caps to the front end to deal w/ current spikes?

All that said,quit dinking around w/ that inverter,this subscriber wants to see that T-coil throwing lightning =)