advice on circuit design

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hunterage2000, Jun 14, 2012.

1. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    Hi, There are times when I look at circuits and wonder how the designer went about designing it and why certain components were placed where they were. Can any designers offer advice on the thought process in designing circuits?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Generally it's an iterative process where you start with the requirements and generate an initial design that you believe will perform the required function. Then you further analyze the circuit to determine if it meets the requirements over the required temperature range and component tolerance variations (simulation as well as testing is used for that). You also try to simplify the circuit as much as possible to minimize cost and maximize reliability. Eventually you reluctantly decide that the circuit is as good as it can be (or the manager shoots the engineer ;)) and the circuit design is finalized.

3. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Whilst serving my apprenticeship I worked in an R&D department building prototypes for the design engineers. One thing I did learn is that designers need books too! Don't get me wrong I worked with some very clever people but even they start of with building blocks gleened from data sheets and books. The clever bit is tweaking and changing these basic building blocks, joining them altogether and getting them to do what is needed.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    When I look at the specification of what I need to do images start appearing in my brain. Some get written down and then some computations made, and if they still look like good ideas they get included.

Design is an "inverse process" that cannot have a procedure.

The best advice is to go ask Alice (I think she'll know) when she says "Remember what the door mouse said: Feed your head." Read lots of things as that quiet muse who gives you all the good (and bad) ideas needs constant input to stay alive.

5. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    thanks very much for your views :)