Advice Needed on Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Hanck, May 26, 2009.

1. Hanck

Thread Starter Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Im intended to build a micromouse-like cart that can travel the maze. But unlike conventional micromouse that will go to a fixed point, return and then travel to that destination again with shortest route on first attempt to reach the distination, mine will travel the whole maze, and map the layout on the computer interface. The transmission medium between the cart and computer is bluetooth.

However im uncertain on following things:
    1, How do I attempt to use the bluetooth module on my dell inspiron notebook? Can I attempt to access the bluetoooth driver on perhaps C++? Fyi i only studied C++, assembly language, vhdl on the course of my studies.

2, How to do 2D drawing for mapping the layout of the maze? Can it be done using C++ or other software is more preferable? Sorry and be frank that I never learn 2D drawing on computer.

3, Servo motor or stepper motor which is better choice? My idea is stepper motor becuase i can also calculate the distance traveled with the steps taken.

4, I wan to make the cart straight eventhought the road condition is not flat. My idea is to use 2 IR sensor on the sides of cart, and the distance from the side wall to the cart will be calculated will be calculated from the reflected signal. If any deviation on the values for left and right sensor, the cart will adjust itself to make sure the distance to the both wall are equal.
    Thus, do you think its viable or there are any better way?

These are doubts i currently have. Thanks to any advice and comment.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Are the side walls fairly optically, sonic reflective? How wide is path? Just thinking out loud: With a sonic transmitter @ 10k Hz, period 100μs, speed of sound about 8μs/in, measuring phase difference 0-360 deg. would =0-12.5 in, round trip. A lower freq. might make it practicle.

3. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    I would use two stepper motors and third wheel that rotates 360 degrees to act as a stabalizer. Then the mouse could pivot through 360 degrees. This will allow it to make the standard 90 degree corners and 180 degree turn arounds and even other angles, given a more complex maze. This method has the advantage of your mouse always moving forward, which, I think, will make the programming a little easier.

Sensors could be very sophisticated or not. Light and sound require sophistication, but touch might be easier. The latter might be made with feelers that constantly eject and retract from the sides of the mouse; in this case distance could be discerned by having the feelers move a pot that creates a voltage which is in turn used to drive an ADC.

Just some thoughts. Good luck! ;)

4. Hanck

Thread Starter Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bernard and PRS.

Here the another feature i will like to add in: when the mouse encounters an object/ obstacle in the maze other than the wall, the mouse will capture an image and send to PC terminal.

Take that the wall is all bright white in color. How does the mouse differentiate it is a wall or an obstacle? is there any sensor that can tell the different of density of light reflected by the object and the white wall?