Advice/Help Getting Started - Flasher with Low Trigger and Timeout

Clemsonee

Joined Jul 4, 2011
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the board and trying to devise a scheme for some effects I'm trying to do for some LED rope lighting that is a part of some accent lighting for outdoor decorations I'm doing.

I used to know circuits pretty well and studied EE in college but a decade in power distribution hasn't been kind to my ability to recall the intracacies of building my own custom circuits. I'm hoping a little advice and friendly discussion might bring me back.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to do is create a trigger/flasher/timeout combination circuit that when triggered will produce an output to a relay to 'blink' three times and then return to an "on" state until re-triggered. In other words, I would like for the lighting to be on until someone walks through, upon activation blink three times, and then return to being steady on again. If a normal 'low' output circuit is easier or less complicated I can always flip flop the output based on whether I use a n/o or n/c output relay so the actual output of the circuit being high or low normally isn't as much of a concern as the blinking and timeout functions.

My input will be from a 12v battery which will power a 12v infrared optical sensor (similar to garage door safety beams) through this circuit. Thus it will require fairly fast and moderately sensitive trigger as I need it to be quick enough to pick up an ankle passing through the beam at average walk/run speed. Once it is triggered by the sensor I want the circuit to blink 3 times (at approximately 0.5 seconds each) and then return to "on" state.

One catch is that I was hoping to use a spare set of garage door sensors that I have for this project. The sensors aren't truly a high or low output in the +12vdc or 0vdc sense. The are actually around +10vdc and are active high at +12.5vdc when the beam is broken. I'm not sure if this would affect the trigger chip for the circuit.

I know I'm a newbie to the forum and any help would be greatly appreciated. This is definitely one of those times when I wish I hadn't sold so many books back at the end of the year in my school days, but thanks for any help and advice!!

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
The easiest thing I could think of is having two 555 circuits in series, the first one triggered by your sensor and the second one triggered by the first one.

The first one a monostable enabling the second one (an astable) for the time the second needs to give out the 3 pulses.

Also can use the 556 which already has two 555.

Be careful to use bypass caps and to avoid negative transients on the trigger input (could kill the chip)