Advertisements

PerryMakes

Joined Mar 28, 2012
First of all - HELLO!

New to the site - and really love what I see so far. Well... most of what I see. I'm going to be blunt and get to the point... In my opinion - the method you've chosen to display ads: SUCKS.

I have no problem with ad-supported sites. You've got to pay the bills somehow. But placing them inline with the site content - in an OBNOXIOUSLY distracting way - I'll say it again... SUCKS.

That wouldn't be a problem if you offered a pay-method to remove distracting content. But I'm assuming that something like that is absent from this site. Correct?

Luckily I write software for a living and 10 minutes on a User JS script and I can say goodbye to that annoyance, but I really feel sorry for the others - and for the person that made the choice to display inline ads in the first place. There are BETTER ways to accomplish the same thing.

Flame away...

[EDIT]
Uh oh... should I just try to get my foot up to my mouth now? Where did the ads go? Are they only displayed for those not logged in with an account? Boy do I deserve what's coming now...

[EDIT #2]
This would probably be a good time to read the TOS me thinks...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

I've never seen the ads, I only heard about them last month. :D

For registered members there are no ads. I think AAC presents a challenge to many would be spammers, Lord Knows the moderating staff is kept busy nailing these guys.

When you get 10 posts under your belt you also get more options. Hit and run homework types ruined it for everyone by erasing their posts, so restrictions were added to prevent.

We have albums, attachments, and of course, the AAC text book. Feel free to browse and ask questions, there are no dumb questions here, and we are firm about not allowing trolls. You will find many features unique to this site.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hey, sorry, I didn't realize ads had been added for nonmembers. I thought your post was a canned self-promoting advertisement, or possibly just a simple troll post. Normally when you edit your post, it shows underneath the time you edited it, so when I didn't see that, I assumed it was canned.

Again, sorry. Welcome to the site. We are surprisingly troll & flame free here. My first reply is an embarrassing unusual occurrance.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
looks like you discovered the "free add removal technique"
logging in
sorry you don't have to pay for it

other than that, welcome to the forum :)
Go introduce yourself in the off topic section :)

we seriously are troll and flame free here

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Welcome to AAC, PerryMakes :)

The people here are very friendly and understanding--no need to worry about your very first post here. It'll be soon forgotten ;)

The moderators here do a fantastic job of keeping the spammers, scammers, and trolls away, so you'll find this site to be very neat and tidy. I can honestly say I've never seen an ad on this site (at least while logged in). I enjoy the atmosphere, as the site is used only for what it was intended, and not for advertising.

Good to have ya, mate!
Regards,
Der Strom

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I can't help it. :D

HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA !

OP just my day. I am signing off. My stomach is aching. :D

The best welcome greeting I ever gave.

PerryMakes

Joined Mar 28, 2012
Well - when all is said and done - I'm glad some of you laughed. Some of you cried. Some of you called names then realized, "Hey... he's not a spammer. He's just one messed up fella..." Now it may be the Ritalin talking, but I'm here to stay! And you get the bad with the good. You've seen the bad... Not the worst, but I'll try saving that for the Automotive Modification sites out there ;)

And to be clear - I realized my mistake almost immediately after hitting submit. The site would have let me delete that mistake, but rather than walking in all smiles and giggles, I walked in butt-bare-neked and went with a "flow-of-conscious" ... Usually not the best way to go, but I'm certainly glad that it was met with understanding and maturity. Sites that put their best foot forward rather than the alternative are few and far between... glad I found one of the gems!

[Edit]
FYI - My guess is that the board let's you "edit" the post within a certain period of time without actually considering it an "edit" ... that must be why there was not a timestamp on my first post or this one.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
LOL!

Don't worry. You passed the first test. You aren't stupid, just irritable, and irritable can be cured.

Personally, I've never seen the ads. I don't know what this site is selling. Because I've been here for a long time? Because I use Firefox with adblock? I don't know, and please don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss. It's the stupid that hurts ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I never used to have ad blocks. And this site is clean.

But now I have to due to a certain incident not related with AAC.

So what is our new member's expertise?

PerryMakes

Joined Mar 28, 2012
Most of my expertise is in the area of convincing others to give me money while I sit in front of a computer for 12 hours / day... The ones writing the checks call it "programming."

C / C++ / Java / .NET (preference for C#) / PERL / Python / etc...

No idea how I made it twenty years without developing an interest in the hardware side of things, but I've got the bug now! Bad. And it's terribly frustrating having to not only learn to walk before running, but crawl ... even a little bit of laying on my back, kicking arms and legs! Direction/focus/interest is mainly twofold: 1) Linear audio circuits for hifi/instrument amplification/effects 2) Digital circuits / microcontroller stuff (because who's NOT got an Arduino/PIC/Stamp on their desk...) and although the days of wanting a robot to do my homework and clean my room are well in the past, the potential uses for UAVs are very real and upon us... See what I mean by running?

And just to absolutely drive that metaphor into the ground, any suggestions on how I can prevent injury (burnout, frustration, etc...) ??? I assume those of you that have posted enough to be "senior members" have been around electronics a long time... what's the secret? :D

Cheers ~ Jason

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You will love µC, a generic term for micro Controllers. They are computers on chips, and can replace quite a bit of circuitry. Brands include PIC and Arduino, there are others, most program in C and C+. I have seen folks do some unique things with them, but you will need to also pursue how various components work also. Jump in and have fun.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
[offtopic]
How did you write the greek "m", Bill? I can't imagine you having a Greek keyboard profile in your PC.
[/offtopic]

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The secret? I think it's just part of some peoples nature. Dogs bark, fish swim, I do science, and the one that keeps me employed is about electricity. All the other fields of science seem to need a large corporation for good employment. If you can do electronics, you can work on, well, anything that runs on electricity. Anything from an electric water heater to Mil-spec radios. It keeps life interesting to be able to work on so many different things, and it keeps the income flowing with little or no employer.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
[offtopic]
How did you write the greek "m", Bill? I can't imagine you having a Greek keyboard profile in your PC.
[/offtopic]
Some moderator you are :) Just use the "go advanced" link when starting a post, or when answering a "quoted" post its on the right side under the smiles.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Geo was made a Mod before he could realize I guess. But it's all about checking posts and clicking delete. Not abt posting.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Externet Off-Topic 8