ADSR schematic help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ale2121, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ale2121

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I would like to build this schematic:
    http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/adsr2.png

I have a few questions about this schematic. First, as far as the gate and output goes, should there be two actual wires going in and out at these points? I'm operating under the assumption that this takes in whatever sound I plug into it, alters it, then spits it back out to a speaker, amp, what have you. In my case, I'm hoping for 1/4 inch in and 1/4 inch out.

Second, there's a capacitor that, unfortunately isn't labeled, but it's the 2.2uf cap. is that going from the 220k resistor to ground? for some reason that small line is making me question it. What are the capacitors that are labeled 10nf? I've never seen that before.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    All signals need to be referenced to the circuit ground. That second wire you speak of will be a connection to ground. It's you choice of connectors - 1/4 phone plug is okay - so is BNC or SMA if you want. As long as it conducts.

That is 10 nanofarads - .01 uF. That 2.2 uF cap goes to ground. The output of the 555 may have a lot of edges to it - pin 3 is usually a fairly square pulse. The cal filters out some of that to make the output less hard on the ears. You can play around with the value to hear what effect it has.

This circuit will certainly alter the input.

3. ale2121

Mar 20, 2009
    thank you very much!

4. ale2121

Mar 20, 2009
    actually one more question. it requires a 15volt power supply. all i can think of to make that is 10 aaa batteries which seams silly to me. there's no such thing as a 15 volt battery, correct? or a 15 volt dc supply is more what it means?

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Usually, one uses a voltage regulator, like a 7815. The actual voltage is not too critical, so 12 volts would work as well. For that , use a 7812. If you wish battery operation, that is a couple fewer AAA's. The regulators are meant to run off a transformer and rectifier, or a wall transformer. One rated for 12 VDC and 100 ma would be plenty for this circuit.

6. ale2121

Mar 20, 2009
    thank you again. :)