Adruino help

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by tresguey, May 28, 2013.

1. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Hi, I want to learn how to use PIC's and am leaning towards Adruino. For my first project I want to build a PWM controller that will have the capability to control two 30 amp fans for my truck. Any suggestions of Adruino kit I should start with?

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    First off, Arduinos aren't PICs. I think what you mean to say is that you want to learn about microcontrollers, of which, PICs and ATMEGA(the chips the Arduino bootloader is loaded onto - depending on type of Arduino, of course) are members.

Unfortunately, automotive modifications are against the rules here, so I don't think we can help you there...

3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    In case you want to learn about microcontrollers, we can do something about it.
    But using your project to interfere in any degree with your truck in strictly prohibited in this site.

Please re-phrase your question, following the above suggestions, and we 'll see what we can do.

4. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Sorry, I did not realize that.

I do want to learn about micro controllers. I do have another project in mind that I thought would be a lot more involved. I brew beer and was wanting to build a system that would run my fluid pumps at given temperatures and times. There will also be fluid levels in the equation.

I have looked into the Arduino and have watched a few youtube videos. I am guessing that the Arduino is more of and experimental or learning system.

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Arduino is an excellent microcontroller starting platform with broken-out input and output ports that let you set your system up and running in very little time.

Try to flesh out your project and we 'll probably be able to guide you through the implementation.

6. Andreas

Jan 26, 2009
    Can I ask why this site is so against using or developing electronics for use with vehicles? What if he would have simply said ..."to power two 30 Amp fans"? No one would be the wiser. What if I want to modify or develop some electronics to work with a bicycle. Does this then become a motorbike (aka a vehicle) meaning it becomes a "banned" topic?

Just curious.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  7. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    It's a complicated topic and it has been discussed extensively in various threads. You may do a search. I 'll give you the short version.

Our case in the matter, as I perceive it, is laid this way:
    1. It's stated in the ToS as laid out by the site administration.
    2. It is a means to protect the site owners from law suits in behalf of accident victims.
    3. Verified road vehicles are strictly regulated and legislated in most countries of the world.
    4. It is the responsible thing to do, not to provide dangerous information, when the interlocutor presents himself as incapable of handling it.

As for your question on bicycle modifications, currently, more or less, the rule applies on road vehicles that need a permit to be driven (ie cars, motorbikes, trucks etc)

8. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Sorry, I should have read the ToS....very rarely do I do that.

Are there any reference books I should look at to help? I do have a a book called 123 PIC projects for the evil genius. Bought it years ago, I would expect it is out of date.

9. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Depends on the hardware you have at hand. Are you going to go for an Arduino or a PIC?

10. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I was thinking PIC...I was looking at PIC12F683

11. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    That is a good place to start, I should know, it's the exact one I started with! :)

12. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    So can I use the Arduino to program and play with it?

13. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I suppose you could, but PIC microcontrollers are generally(for hobby use) programmed with a Pickit, typically either the Pickit 2, or Pickit 3....

14. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I don't think it's worth your time using an arduino to program a PIC. You 're much better off with a Pickit, especially with your limited background.

I don't have substantial experience with PICs, so I can't point you towards the right direction for you to start. I 'm sure someone else will.

15. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    If you want a firm understanding of the basics, start with PIC. If, all you need is a quick, ready to use solution, go with Arduino.

The Arduino abstracts away many of the difficulties with microcontrollers, but, doesn't give a clear representation of what is actually happening in the controller.

Either way, both can be programmed in semi-high level programming languages: Arduino uses a C-like programming language, where PIC can use basic assembly, C, BASIC, and a whole host of other compilers for other languages (the same can be said of the AVR the Arduino is based on, but that means you aren't using Arduino, just the hardware).

If you have an Arduino, there's no sense in using it to program a PIC, the Arduino is probably capable of anything you would want to do with the PIC.

16. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks for all the help...I just ordered up a Pickit3 and some basic pics.

On another note I should be receiving my Fluke 99B today. I used a scope years ago while in the Marines and am exited to play with it.

17. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Like you, I'm just getting started with PIC. I use a PIC dev board with a 18f45k20 device and the PICKIT3 programmer. I have a good headstart because I've been writing software for 3 decades, starting with BASIC and a TRS-80. Anyhoo, the PIC board is rather basic ( no pun intended ) and I hear the Arduino is a better place for beginners. You can also get alot of cool accessories for the Arduino that's not available for the PIC. I make my own PIC accessories, but it's a pain in the butt to do so.

18. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    To be fair, there is not a microcontroller that cannot utilize the Arduino accessories, there may not be a ready-made set of libraries to use it, but it can be done.

19. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Sure anything can utilize anything. That's not my point. The accessories are custom made for the Arduino to make them easy to use. One can always hack them to fit any uC, but one can also just make his own. Either way, it's much easier just to use the accessories the way they are intended.