Adjusting Distance on 2.4Mhz Transmitters

JeremyOkulovich

Joined Jun 12, 2016
Hello,
Is there a way to adjust how far a signal goes on the 2.4Mhz transmitters? So like say you have a wide open room but you did not want the signal to go farther than a certain limit.
Thanks everyone!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you really mean 2.4 MHz transmitters?
Is it not 2.4 GHz, or wifi , WLAN?
Can you use directional antennas?

Bertus

JeremyOkulovich

Joined Jun 12, 2016
Yes I can use directional antennas but distance is important.
Honestly I think it is 2.4GHz not 2.4MHz but my friend brought up MHz.
After doing some research I feel like the oscillator or the tank circuit is making the 2.4GHz and the amount of voltage being pushed through or amplified is going to determine the distance.
Am I on the right track?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In theory a transmitted signal goes an infinite distance in free space, getting progressively weaker. The sensitivity of a receiver, in conjunction with the original transmitted signal strength, determines the useful range.
You could confine the signal to the room by providing electromagnetic screening on all the walls, ceiling, floor and doorway: but that's probably not a practical solution!

JeremyOkulovich

Joined Jun 12, 2016
Much thanks, Im more worried about trying to figure out how to limit the range in an open room. Boosting the range is one thing but I would like to know how to minimize the signal to a specific radius. Boosting the voltage or decreasing the voltage to the antenna I feel like is what determines the distance.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
You can reduce the signal strength by using a less efficient antenna, adding length to the antenna transmission line, installing an attenuator between the transmitter and antenna, reducing the gain of the last RF amplifier stage if any, reducing the output power setting if one is provided, reducing the supply voltage or any number of other ways.

The manner of your question causes me to suspect that there may be a better solution to your root problem (as yet unspecified) than the approach you suggest. If you'd care to explore that possibility, tell us what the real issue is that you believe a range limit (not strictly possible without a Faraday cage) would solve.