Adjustable Voltage Regulator Help Anyone?

DaMenaCe

Joined Jul 23, 2009
Hey Guys

I am working on this porject of installing LEDs on a Car. After a bit of researching i realize that i am gonna have to use something called "Voltage Regulator" what i needed was either a 9V or 12V regulator as the Led Series i have works great at 9v and 12v. for that all i have to do is go out to Radioshack and buy a 9v or 12v regulator and wire it up right? well yea with my luck i couldnt find any 12v or 10v so i ended up buying a "ADJUSTABLE REGULATOR" thinking how hard could it be... but i couldnt find any help on how to use it.... so now i am here trying to find out how do i go about this. if anybody can please fill me in on How to use his Adustable Voltage Regulator that would be great. i have a (LM317T. Posative Adjustable Voltage Regulator from RadioShakck) just so you guys know

DaMenaCe

Joined Jul 23, 2009
hey Alberto thanks for the reply man. and the reason why i needed to put a regulator in is because the battery current changes from 12 to up to 14 v when the engine is Running. I am sorry i forgot to mention that in my first post. so to avoid the leds from blowing out when this high currents is being pushed out of the battery i figured i would need to install a regulator. Also This "adjustable Regulator" I dont think i know how to do it.. i mean i am looking at the image and lot of these things doesn't make sense to me. This is not my field i am complete rookie i am just trying to learn. Anyways but if you can tell me how would i connect the series if i got me a regular 12 volt Regulator. Thanks a lot man.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
to make it simple just use a resistor in series with the 12v LED part. you would calculate required resistor for 14v, and when it drop to 12v the LED part will still work. what we need is the LED part specs (rated voltage and current).

DaMenaCe

Joined Jul 23, 2009
hey guys i am back... after a while but here i am anyways i dont have any 411 on the leds i bought them and they came in clear plastic bag from hong kong anyways but they look like they had some kind of resistor on it so i decided to get a 12 v regulator and installed them on my car already they work great havent had a problem in past 2 weeks atlest and i have been driving quit a bit so hopefully they hold up..i am gonna try to take some pics of what i did and post it on here.. just incase if anybody would want to try this in future..

PS. i am really thankful for ur reply i really appreciate it DC kIND Albrto.. BILL i am gonna go read that link right now thanks a lot guys