Address decoder

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Show them where the rocks are. TS needed help.
To make students study the basic conceptions are more important than the direct answer, if you can't do that, then you need to do some more practice to learn how to do the guide, it's a hard work than to given the direct answer, you can see what the WBahn did in many threads, he is doing a great job.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks, Scott. But it does need to be acknowledged that I don't always go a great job and, in any given situation, my approach may not be the best (or even particularly good). It's hard to tell early on in a discussion -- and it's easy to get stuck in a mindset.

Sometimes seeing someone else work the problem IS all it takes -- but I firmly believe that is seldom the case.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Thanks, Scott. But it does need to be acknowledged that I don't always go a great job and, in any given situation, my approach may not be the best (or even particularly good). It's hard to tell early on in a discussion -- and it's easy to get stuck in a mindset.

Sometimes seeing someone else work the problem IS all it takes -- but I firmly believe that is seldom the case.
You are too polite, I can't do any better than you do, actually it's far from you, I think sometimes this forum just like the parents to take care the baby start to learn how to walk, it's a really hard work, if anyone trying to help the student must be have the view from the entry of mountain climbing, bring the student go up to the hilltop, thinking of many members trying to help, but their view is from the top to the entry, so the view is from the designer not the beginner, that's why not so easy to do the job here.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
To make students study the basic conceptions are more important than the direct answer, if you can't do that, then you need to do some more practice to learn how to do the guide, it's a hard work than to given the direct answer, you can see what the WBahn did in many threads, he is doing a great job.
The students are not WBahn.
I understand but helping early students grasp the basics by giving then an example is sometimes needed. They are not yet engineers. Have you forgotten what it was like in your early years? Stepping them through the homework after \they have already tried and failed indicates they are missing basics.
WBahn does a great job on helping potential engineers. If the student doesn't even grasp basic technician stuff WBahn's means don't help.
Stepping them through one homework assignment will not give them a passing grade. The objective is helping them get through what they didn't pick up in class.
Of course I prefer to let WBahn try his way. But if the student isn't up to grasping that the student needs more basic examples of help.
If this is unacceptable I will bow out of the Homework section.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Keep in mind that, in most cases, the student has already seen examples worked out in detail, both in class and in their text. Something hasn't clicked yet and it is unlikely that seeing yet another example worked out for them is going to somehow make that click happen. The most likely outcome is that they will only think that now they understand it, just like they did when they watched in class and/or read their text. So they will end up going into the exam on this material only to find that they still don't know how to work these kinds of problems. How does that help them?

In addition, by YOU working their homework for them, they not only get credit for YOUR work, but the instructor is mislead into thinking that the student has learned the material and is ready to move on when, in all likelihood, they aren't. So now they find themselves ever more unprepared for ever more complicated material. How does that help them?

If you think that yet another example is what is needed -- and perhaps it is -- then make up a similar problem and work that one for them. This way they still have to struggle through their actual homework and therefore they have the opportunity to: make it their own and have something click to get past whatever it was that was hindering them; to turn in and get credit for THEIR work; and to have their instructor have a more accurate picture of where their state of comprehension is.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Keep in mind that, in most cases, the student has already seen examples worked out in detail, both in class and in their text. Something hasn't clicked yet and it is unlikely that seeing yet another example worked out for them is going to somehow make that click happen. The most likely outcome is that they will only think that now they understand it, just like they did when they watched in class and/or read their text. So they will end up going into the exam on this material only to find that they still don't know how to work these kinds of problems. How does that help them?

In addition, by YOU working their homework for them, they not only get credit for YOUR work, but the instructor is mislead into thinking that the student has learned the material and is ready to move on when, in all likelihood, they aren't. So now they find themselves ever more unprepared for ever more complicated material. How does that help them?

If you think that yet another example is what is needed -- and perhaps it is -- then make up a similar problem and work that one for them. This way they still have to struggle through their actual homework and therefore they have the opportunity to: make it their own and have something click to get past whatever it was that was hindering them; to turn in and get credit for THEIR work; and to have their instructor have a more accurate picture of where their state of comprehension is.
Good suggestions! You have been doing this far longer than I have.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The students are not WBahn.
I understand but helping early students grasp the basics by giving then an example is sometimes needed. They are not yet engineers. Have you forgotten what it was like in your early years? Stepping them through the homework after \they have already tried and failed indicates they are missing basics.
WBahn does a great job on helping potential engineers. If the student doesn't even grasp basic technician stuff WBahn's means don't help.
Stepping them through one homework assignment will not give them a passing grade. The objective is helping them get through what they didn't pick up in class.
Of course I prefer to let WBahn try his way. But if the student isn't up to grasping that the student needs more basic examples of help.
If this is unacceptable I will bow out of the Homework section.
Please don't feel frustrated, you just did a little direct answer, but I did the completed answer for the student before, and then WBahn told me that it was not appropriate for the homework help forum, I agreed with him and didn't say any words, so I deleted the circuit of answer.

You did a great job here, except the direct answer, now you just need to adjust the method as Bertus showed the block diagram, it's easy to understand, but no direct answer, for a decoder, you have to ask the students to check the truth table, and must be understand the functions for each pin as input pins, enable pins, output pins, you can provide other examples, the better is the block diagram, that's the basic conception, but no direct answer, the students will know what to do, if they don't then you can ask them where the problem is, the Test Circuits and waveforms, Connection Diagram(the internal diagram of structure) are also need to see, etc...

Now you just need to shift the direction a little bit, when you doing more practice then you will feeling better, our mods can't force you to do anything, what we told you just want to match what this forum created for, good luck ... :)