Adding watts

Contour41482

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Sorry for the early question but I just ordered LED lights that is a dimmable driverless strip. They say it has 4.4 watts per foot, so total I equal up to 50.2 watts. What my question was is that I have a magnetic low voltage dimmer and I called Lutron and they told me the minimum watts was 40 watts. Well low and behold the LED's stay slightly on when the dimmer is off. So I recall lutron and now they tell me it is 60 watts minimum Is there any way I can add something inline before the LED strip to add the 10 watts?? Thank you anyone for any advise it means a lot

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You'll likely want something in parallel, not series. You could experiment with some CFLs in sockets, or a regular light bulb. Or another strip of LEDs ;)

Oh, you said low voltage. Maybe an automotive light bulb or a little 12v halogen spot.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Try putting a big cap (2200uF?) across (in parallel) with the power leads for the entire LED assembly.

It is likely some small fast transients making the LEDs appear "slightly on".

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
If this is a thyristor dimmer, from what I have heard and seen there is "significant" leakage current in the off-state, that can't be seen in incandescent bulbs, but does when controlling LEDs.

Ken