Adding variable output to a DIY ozone generator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tweaked2.0, Jun 1, 2016.

1. tweaked2.0

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Hey guys,

I picked up a basic diy ozone generator off of eBay to incorporate with my hvac system. The kit is basic, just a 110v, 10 watt transformer rated @3.5 kv output and a 1,000 mg/h plate. System works well, but would like to add the ability to control the output. Would simply adding a potentiometer between the plate and transformer work? If so, what size would you recommend? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob , thanks.

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    No, the only way to control the output is to vary the input voltage, like a dimmer control.

3. tweaked2.0

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    I was thinking that too, just wasn't sure if that would harm the transformer.

4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Simple on off control might work better.
    Lowering average input voltage would have a limited range, but once you get too low, the high voltage side would go low enough to stop making ozone altogether.

A slow running 555 with adjustable pulse width running a solid state relay would allow intermittent full power operation but reduce the total amount of ozone generated per minute
    A period of several seconds(less than 1 Hz freq) and just adjust the duty cycle to get 95% to 5% of full on capacity.