adding pot to pwm controller board for speed control

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by johnny9, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny9

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 17, 2014
    hi,first post from the bikini state,fla..read a lot here with no luck,acually no luck anywhere on line at all..wanting to delete circut board pad you would see when on a treadmill walking,and add a potentiometer and switch to control the speed..heres where id better start,,what i have..
    have a leeson 2.7hp permanent magnet dc motor.
    120volt
    19amp
    4000 rpm
    with 2 wires feding into the controller
    controllers is"pulse power systems" pt# qq.2119 120volt 15 amp controller.
    this was all working awesome at 11mp on treadmill,removed all stuff from t.mill and made a 2x72 knife grinder,turned out awesome"have many pics also" but since getting it up and going"only took 2hrs and whalla"the motor will cut off at 3.4mph???
    ive added extra grounds and checked everything with no luck..i did adjust the max speed pot on controler and got the mph to 6.2 before cutting off but i need the 11-12 mph it did before?
    so instead of buying a 180.00 controller that id love ,but cant afford in trying to do what i read everywhere,,to add a switch and pot..ok,i can do this,but whre does it go lol..i have a pot and switch but not the electrical knowledge of the multi meter..but i ran tests and have the number for you guys that know this stuff,and can get any pics needed..where to hook the pot to? please help!
    the 2 white plugs i beliv to b the test,or same as the 2 phine line looking plugs that control the speed calories and other stuff from treadmill..
    the 8 pin wht plug has 4 pins with power,heres what i get on the multimeter using 200vdc setting
    1 pin reads .5

the 6 pin plug i get only 3 pins with readings.
    if the potentiometer dont go here thn it must go to the center on the board,it has 4 points in the cente soldered and a resistor in there too..it has a plus sign on one post? any help appreciated..john

2. johnny9

Oct 17, 2014
    nothing fellas? notta,, gonna make me spend mulla i dont need to :p if it were building engines,running lathe,milling machine,heavy equipment,welding alum, steel ,stainless,building bullpup gun stocks,making custom knives etc etc it would be right up my alley..learning electronics is the oppostie direction for me tho:eek:

i have the machine running with treadmill controller pad,,would i benifit from tearing the plastic sheet off the treadmill control pad and tracing the boards leads from the up and down speed control on the circut board back to the phone line wires to see what wires run the speed control? id just hate to ruin it then not get anywhere and be left with a non working motor till i spend the 200 bucks on a speed controller..goin fishin for now,maybe will give me time to rethink this board:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  4. johnny9

Oct 17, 2014
  5. johnny9

Oct 17, 2014
    i dont understand much in the electrical world lol,but dont i have this already? my controller has the pwm speed sensor and was working fine till i re located everything.and i read a lot of folks say the controller just needs a pot for speed and switch for power..the pwm circut seems to work ok just cant get but half the power i got before reloacating it all to the sander/grinder. if its more involved than a pot and switch i will most likely have to save the couple hundred bucks for a good controller..if it were only a engine lol.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    There are controllers on ebay made by KB or Baldor that often come up cheap. ebay 231358659321
    Max.

7. johnny9

Oct 17, 2014
    im an avid ebay user,but your sayng its not possible to add a pot to the controller i have? or pay someone to do it for me? when i look at the inards of the "other companys" board and many others,the one i have seems to look built pretty good..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If you just have the board with the PWM input type, the pot itself will not do it.
    Max.

9. johnny9

Oct 17, 2014
    thanks very much for helping me understand,even tho i really dont lol.. guess i will be saving for a good one soon..i seen a video with a single bridge rectifier,thats cheap,and a light dimmer switch that ran 3 motor similar like mine..seperatly of course..in my mind thats not the right way i dont think..i have a motor that will last my lifetime so id rather have the right thing to controll it also..thanks max,john

10. IamJatinah

Oct 22, 2014
    Hi There....this design is made by Pulse Power Systems for several treadmill makers. If you still need info on using this for a PWM drive, message me. This unit can be PWM driven with a ttl-control PWM quite easily, oh, and an enable. :eek:)

11. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Kudos to Max for wading through your writing.

I and other folks around here simply won't take the energy to translate. You'll get far more feedback if you use punctuation, grammar and spelling. We're not English majors, and we try to be sensitive to language barriers, but throw us a bone. Otherwise it's like waving a flag saying that "I cannot be bothered to take the time to ask a proper question, but please take your time to answer it for me". No thanks.

12. dinoquack

Jul 24, 2015
    Is this offer open to me too? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.