Adding multiple IR detectors

holabr

Joined Feb 8, 2010
I have an IR repeater that has a remote sensor plugged into it (3 conductor 1/8" plug) to receive the IR signal from my remote. It then has IR led emitters that are placed in front of each peice of equipment to be controlled. I would like to be able to control my stereo from a second location. I tried to use a stereo Y splitter to connect 2 sensors into the single jack on the back of the repeater, however when both sensors are plugged in, neither works. If I unplug one, the other works fine and visa versa. Any ideas how I can get both to work? I'm on a very limited budget, so buying another unit or other expensive equipment is not an option.

holabr

Joined Feb 8, 2010
I'm still playing around with this problem. I built my own IR repeated a number of years ago and found it in the bottom of my junk bin. It was based on the GP1U52X IR detector. See the attached schematic. Can I replace the GP1U52X with the stereo Y splitter and the 2 detectors I was trying to use with the purchased repeater. What factors are involved in being able to run multiple parallel detectors? Also since these detectors are plastic encased units with a stereo (3 conductor) plug on the end, how do I determnine which pin is Vcc, Ground and Signal? Do I risk damaging it if I use trial and error to connect it to my repeater?

Attachments