Adding Momentary Stops to 120v AC drill

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
Hi guys, im new to this please be kind lol.

I have a Low gear Mud mixing drill that is powering a scissor lift

My issue is i need the scissor lift to stop at max and minimum. I was going to attach 2 momentary to the front and back, not to stop the motor but to disconnect the power going to the brushes/winding.

But when i disconnect the LEFT switch and add a N/C momentary it all works, but it shuts down BOTH left and right.
If i disconnect 1 of any wires nothing works

I have 2 wires on LEFT setting. 1 to brushes 1 to winding
2 wires for RIGHT setting ( same as above )

AC lines that run into the trigger and 2 black lines that run from trigger to drill, not sure where.
The trigger also has 3 speed settings with pressure.

im so lost please help.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
I'm lost too. I know what the people on my job sites, in my country call a "scissor lift", a "mud mixer" and a "low speed drill". You must speak using entirely different colloquialisms, and at a different point on the planet. Since not even a sketch is given, it seems that you're actually describing 2 separate items and problems, but you've got to give us something to work with.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
One motor, two directions?
You need a switch to stop one direction only?
Another switch to stop other direction only?
Series ac/dc motor as in many drills?

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
One motor, two directions?
You need a switch to stop one direction only?
Another switch to stop other direction only?
Series ac/dc motor as in many drills?
Correct.
1 Drill 2 directions
1 direction should stop, allowing me to switch to another direction and lower the unit
using 2 switchs, unless theres a better way

Yes once reached limit it should stop then reverse/forward from there

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So you are willing to manually change directions once the drill reaches a limit? Will you manually operate the motor in between?

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
inwo --Holding the trigger,

djsfantasi -- Yes im happy to manually change directions once its reached limit

All i really need to do is add a momentary to stop power to 1 direction. untill i switch over to the other and reverse the motor.

Problem is the momentary stops Both directions. i dont understand it

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
If yes, a single latched relay with a start button.
Either switch stops.
Connect it to a plug for drill. No need to get at drill motor wiring.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Push button to allow drill to run either direction. It will stop at either limit unto you manually reverse drill and restart. You tiny switches will be ok also.

From what I gather, you just want some "help" to stop. The limit switch is the first step.

The diagram is fine above, but you just need a switch to select the direction you want to go, so the appropriate limit switch is used.

It won;t help, if you get the direction on the drill wrong.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
And your saying this should run onto my 120v?
I'll edit diagram.

Yes, circuit would control an outlet for the drill.
Drill will work as normal.
When drill stops at limit. Reverse it. Lock trigger. Press start.It will run to the end.

This is just a how to! NOT a how to do it safely...........

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
Its gotta be simpler than this,

Lets say i start from the lowest position on scissor lift. Id have to go forward to raise the unit
At this point 1 momentary would be pressed, it would be stopping the reverse lever on the drill from completing the circuit

I would switch to Forward and raise it until the next limit is hit stopping disconnecting the forward circuit.

Then again reverse it untill hitting limits.

i dont see why 2 momentarys cant complete this action be intersecting the wires seperatly in the 2 directions

But it doesnt work. It WILL stop the drill but 1 momentary will stop BOTH directions even wired for forward or for backwards

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
You will be hard pressed to find a simpler circuit. If there is one, you will find it here.

You may be under the impression that there is a forward wire and a reverse wire in drill.

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
You will be hard pressed to find a simpler circuit. If there is one, you will find it here.

You may be under the impression that there is a forward wire and a reverse wire in drill.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/20161001_190237-jpg.112860/

What confuses me is that there is a lever ment for forward and reverse which is where the 4 red wires are comming from. 2 for the reverse lever 2 for the forward, If i remember correctly 2 are going to brushs 2 to the winding.

If anything, Can i get a reason on why 1 momentary placed on the forward or reverse would stop both directions? im bothered by that most.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If that is an AC Universal motor the armature leads are reversed WRT the field hence the number of wires on the switch.
If the drill is dedicated to the scissor lift, then I would make a permanent wiring with a relay enclosure etc to perform what is needed.
Max.