Adding Aux to 2005 Nissan Xterra Radio

bballfanatic3693

Joined Aug 8, 2012
I am trying to add an aux input to my OEM car radio. I was thinking of soldering the L/R channels of the aux input into where the CD player connects to the board of the radio, however, my CD player does not work so I cannot select the CD input. Is there some way around this or do I have to find a completely different way of adding an aux input. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
If you cant select the CD input, then theres really no way around it. You could buy (or build) an FM transmitter that will transmit the audio directly to the radio.

bballfanatic3693

Joined Aug 8, 2012
I've tried the fm transmitter but I don't get very good sound quality so would like to be wired in. Is there no other way to get around the cd input problem?

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
I've tried the fm transmitter but I don't get very good sound quality so would like to be wired in. Is there no other way to get around the cd input problem?
Afraid not. Especially since you cant even select the CD input. Did you buy one of those cheap FM transmitters from the store? Those things SUCK. You can build ur own though. There are plenty of schematics on the web and you can even buy kits that u can solder together.

Other than that youd be better off buying a new radio

bballfanatic3693

Joined Aug 8, 2012
I can select the CD input, however, because it can't read the CD inside it switches back to the radio after a few seconds. I don't know if this changes anything or not but hope so.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If it has a cassette player you can get one of the plug in adapters which give surprisingly excellent sound if your cassette player is a good one. If not, I think it would be extremely difficult to install an aux input. I had to take my head unit apart and it's ridiculous how crowded and dense the electronics are inside it. Probably better to get a new head unit from Crutchfield with the install kit.