Adder-Subtractors and 2's compliment

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bob800, Aug 14, 2012.

1. bob800

Thread Starter Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Hello,

After learning about digital adder-subtractors, I thought I would play around with a simulator to confirm my understanding: (http://teahlab.com/4-bit_Adder_Subtractor/)

Unfortunately, this only made it more confusing :D. While everything makes sense with sums of 0 or higher, I'm having a hard time understanding how negative numbers are represented.

Take a look at my attached screenshot, for instance. Everything in blue represents a LOW state, while everything in red represents a HIGH state; hence, the simulator is in "subtractor" mode with the "B2" input HIGH and all other inputs LOW.

Now if I'm understanding this, I should be subtracting 4 from 0, in which case the "sum" would be negative. My limited knowledge of digital arithmetic tells me that negative numbers are represented in the "2's complement" form, with the MSB representing the sign (+ or -). So:

0100 = 4
    1011 = 1's compliment
    1100 = 2's compliment

But reading from the top down, the simulator is outputting "0011"! Could someone please explain where my logic fails?!

Thanks,

bob800

• ex.png
      ex.png
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Everything is as it should be. A0 and B0 at the TOP of your diagram are the least significant bits. A3 and B3 at the BOTTOM of your diagram are the most significant bits.

When 1100 is read right to left it is 0011 and vice versa. Get it?

BTW it is an error to consider the MSB as just a sign bit in 2s complement notation. It is both a sign bit and a magnitude bit. It is also correct to assign it a negative magnitude (e.g. -8, in the case of 4 bit numbers).
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. 1111 = -8 + 4 + 2 + 1 = -1
    3. 1110 = -8 + 4 + 2 + 0 = -2
    4. ...
    5. and so forth

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. bob800

Thread Starter Member

Dec 10, 2011
    *facepalm*

OK this is what I was fundamentally missing (aside from common sense)! Thank you for clearing this up!

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    'saright. Once upon a time I was where you are now.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Take a moment and consider that you said that everything made sense for positive sums. But if you were reading the output in reverse order, that doesn't make sense. You should have been interpretting any odd-valued sum as a negative number!

Be sure you understand why you thought you were seeing what you thought you expected for positive sums in light of this.