Addblock help

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys: i have Addblock but latley i've been confronted with this site firstrawsports where i watch alot of sports,with a page telling me to desable adblock i hate those adds,since clickling on the x (exit) and some times start to download stuff, use not to be like that before in Firefox or Chrome, since the adblockplus or other use to block the adds and still let us stream safely.
Today i came across these set of instructions but i need some guidance on how to put them to use, thanks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/...dblock_prompt/

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Basically, frank55, follow the instructions. If you're not familiar, with HTML, an element is typically opened with a start tag for example: <div> or <p> and closed with a tag </div> or </p> respectively. The former is a block element and the latter is an in-line (or "line" as some prefer) element. If you like, you can clear the content and leave the element tags. There are other elements but these are the most common and will serve to give you the idea. Again, just follow the instructions. You won't hurt anything. In fact, your modifications will be wiped out as soon as the cache is cleared and the page reloads. No worries.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Basically, frank55, follow the instructions. If you're not familiar, with HTML, an element is typically opened with a start tag for example: <div> or <p> and closed with a tag </div> or </p> respectively. The former is a block element and the latter is an in-line (or "line" as some prefer) element. If you like, you can clear the content and leave the element tags. There are other elements but these are the most common and will serve to give you the idea. Again, just follow the instructions. You won't hurt anything. In fact, your modifications will be wiped out as soon as the cache is cleared and the page reloads. No worries.
Thanks do you know any video on utube that explains this? this stuff never was my cup of tea, or detaill info on text,thanks

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The instructions are very clear. Tell you what, try this:

Right-click (right now) somewhere on the screen. You should get a context menu. One of the options should be "inspect element". That is what you're looking for.

If you're using Chrome or FF, whatever you're hovering over on the page is highlighted in the code. I'm not sure if IE does this too or not, but really you shouldn't EVER be using IE! :p

Go to the page you want to disable the overlay on. Do the same thing--right-click and select "inspect element" (just as the instructions tell you to do). Hover over the overlay and the div containing the code for the overlay should highlight. Simply delete that div and, assuming you deleted the right one, you should be able to access your video.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
alternate option - an add-on available for firefox (mozilla based browsers) which does require a little expertise - NoScript. unlike addblock which blocks popups as they are initiated, NoScript stops the page scripting from loading as the page is opened. you set permissions to what does and does not get 'opened'. it remembers your settings and can be changed at any time.

its open source software (no charge for usage) - http://noscript.net/

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
frank55, tom_s has a good option for you. The noscript add-on for Firefox can be a pain on some pages but it works well. It can always be disabled when you don't need it. Firefox is a pretty decent browser if you're not familiar. (It doesn't have all the BS of IE.)

As far as tutorials, most would complicate the issue and possibly confuse you, if not bore you to tears. When working with the web page, you'll only be editing the code that's downloaded to your machine, nothing more. If the page comes out screwy, just clear your browser cache and reload the page. You can view the code on this page if you choose.

Frankly, I would walk you through it but I avoid sites that fill a machine with Adware. That's just me though and I apologize.

Notwithstanding, give it a go. We'll be here. (Presently I'm decorating some Hickory coals with a pork loin but I'll keep an eye on this thread if you like.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thanks falay; i was able to do it on Google Chrome, by by adds , those things get me crazy,special on win7. on Mozila i'm yet to see if i can do it,but i only use Firefox on 2 machines due lack of mem otherrwise i would use google chrome cause is faster and less kranky.

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Well done frank55. No thanks required- you did the work! I'm with you. Chrome's a great choice. FF can be problematic with Flash and Silverlight at times also.

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
The ads are a pox upon us. I grew tired of Windows awhile back- I was working with Apache and MySQL (around the time Win7 updates started pouring out of MS). I said the heck with it and converted all my machines to Linux.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Generally I prefer Chrome over FF, but I have been using FF for the past year and a half because I was having CONSTANT issues with chrome--it would keep freezing, especially when playing flash videos, but also did it while scrolling, etc. I tried a reinstall and it didn't help, so I decided to just go with Firefox instead.

Glad you got things working!
Matt

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
I tend to hang with FF as well. Occasionally the folks at Mozilla get goofy and try to turn it into a battleship but for the most part, it gets the job done for my purposes. Then again, I'm no Big Kahuna when it comes to surfing the web.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; i had to take drastic measures as today all my computers run on Chrome,since i couldn't figure out how to remove this dam add saying desable the addblock in FireFox for this site, in Google Chrome to do it in ADPlus is much easier,

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
another handy 'spanner in the works' to use, is to add the undesirable adds to the windows 'host' file and point back to local machine (127.0.0.1)

the hosts file is used for many things and and perfect for blocking specific websites. i can give you examples of 'how to' if you decide to try this option.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
another handy 'spanner in the works' to use, is to add the undesirable adds to the windows 'host' file and point back to local machine (127.0.0.1)

the hosts file is used for many things and and perfect for blocking specific websites. i can give you examples of 'how to' if you decide to try this option.
Hi Tom ; i do not want to block the site,just want to block the dam add that can harm my computer,
i wouldn't mind the adds if they were legit,but these add,most of them when one clicks the X, exit, they start download crap.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
frank55, just googled your firstrawsports and its come up sort of invalid search? you have correct link?

edit: can check and see what noscript blocks

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
frank55, just googled your firstrawsports and its come up sort of invalid search? you have correct link?

edit: can check and see what noscript blocks

Hi tom this is how i did it in Google Chrome,i got Addblockplus and got inside the firstrowsports site and clicked on ABP applet, clicked, Block Element, deleted ifirstrowus.eu/ and left ##adblockplus

if this is not clear to you i will make pics of every step!

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
Frank, myself not being a gambler (or drinker), not the sort of place i'd normally visit. did visit firstrowsports.eu site, got Please disable ad block to enter in the website. apparently they don't know about noscript.

i'm glad you got it resolved, no benefit to me personally but hopefully someone else gets help from this thread.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Frank, myself not being a gambler (or drinker), not the sort of place i'd normally visit. did visit firstrowsports.eu site, got Please disable ad block to enter in the website. apparently they don't know about noscript.

i'm glad you got it resolved, no benefit to me personally but hopefully someone else gets help from this thread.
Well tom it maybe no benefit for you to visit this site cause you're not sports Fanatic like me,if you like any sport you can find any game here for tree from all over the world.