Add timer to push button switch.

Sitruknosnhoj

Joined Oct 17, 2009
Please bear with me as I have ZERO knowledge about any circuitry. If someone can figure out what I mean, I want them to give me a parts list and where to get them only and I will put it together (hopefully). Ok, in my car I have a push button switch to operate my convertible top. I have to physically hold the switch for 12 seconds while the top goes through its motions until it is finished lowering. What I want is some form of timer on the switch that will allow it to operate for about 12 seconds once it is pressed. I understand the risks involved but I just want to know how I can go about accomplishing this. Thanks for any help.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Someone else asked about this a few months ago.

I think that it is a very bad idea to use a timer as a control for the movement of a convertible top.

Such a "dumb" timer controlling a fairly powerful mechanism could lead to bodily injury or property damage to the vehicle itself.

As there are safety and property damage issues involved, it is against the policy of AAC to provide information that may lead to injury or damage to property; so I don't feel this is an appropriate topic for this Board.

Sitruknosnhoj

Joined Oct 17, 2009
Ok. Well, where can I go to find out about this. Because I DO understand the risks and I'm going to do it anyways... call me stubborn but its what I want. If you cant "post" how to do it send it to me in a PM. Please and thanks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I've had several convertibles, all with power tops, all with switches that you had to hold for the duration of the top raising/lowering.

I would not have made such a modification to them due to the safety/damage issues that I've already mentioned.

I will not help you find out how to do what you are planning to do, because I feel that it is a very un-wise thing to do.

Thav

Joined Oct 13, 2009
I would say go for a rocker switch instead, then you can switch off if someone decides to hop in the top while it's closing.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Convertibles normally come equipped with a momentary-off-momentary type switch; either a rocker or a bat-handle toggle switch. They won't keep the top moving unless you're pressing on the switch.

Using a timer for something like this is just begging for disaster.

I hope the topic gets closed soon.