Add capacitor to cordless blower

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by micfly, Mar 24, 2011.

1. micfly

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I have a black and decker 12v cordless blower that runs out of juice pretty quickly. Is there a simple way to get more juice/time out of this unit. Here is a link to the battery inside if that helps. I am not schooled in electronics so need some simple advice. Thanks

2. cjdelphi

Mar 26, 2009
    No, except for a bigger battery or wire it up to the mains (step down transformer to 12v)

3. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    the specs for the blower states enough power for up to 1/3 acre of area can be blown. This is only about 100 ft by 140 ft.
    The motor on the blower will not be robust enough to be run for an extended peroid of time. People that have tried the 'car battery in a pack hanging on your back' booster have been able to increase the run time but have ended up junking the unit after burning up the motor.

AC or IC powered units are suggested for large areas.

4. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    What is the motor on....a leaf blower, automotive defroster ??-- does it provide continuous, or intermittant duty only. ??? what is its amperage requirement. all this should be on the motor i.d. plate.. you need
    an adequate transformer VA output.

Odds are, that the blower is a "universal" motor which can use either ac/dc.....however >> Cordless, usually implies straight DC , battery only.

if not universal, you will have to rig an appropriate rectifier/regulator downstream from your transformer. The rectifier should be rated at 2-3 x your amp draw for the motor.

The transf. will need to be 18-20 volts, and at least 50 VA [guesstimate ] to have enough capacity to feed the rectifier / regulator as well as your blower motor.

5. micfly

Mar 24, 2011
    It's just a small leaf blower. I took it apart and it looks like the battery power goes straight to the motor (no transformer). I was thinking that adding a large capacitor (like in car stereo configurations) might help???

6. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    No, I do not think that adding a capacitor would help. The large capacitors used with car audio gear are supposed to supply extra peak current to better cope with the rapidly varying demands of the amplifiers.

Your blower motor has a fairly constant current drain so there is no need for capacitors, apart from perhaps some small ones used to suppress radio/TV interference.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. micfly

Mar 24, 2011
    Ahh, got it. I guess the only other thing that may help then is a better battery with a higher amp hour rating?

8. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    OR a better leaf blower with a bigger motor. This is really the only way to improve the performance. A bigger battery in the other unit will just extend the amount of time you use the under powered unit.