Add Attachment type (.hex and .bin files)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Can .hex and .bin files be added to attachment types? Wouldn't need more than about 8kB maximum, usually in the 100 bytes or so range. These are for uC binary program attachments. Adding .c and .asm attachments would be cool too.

I don't like opening .ZIP or .RAR archives from strangers, which can contain malware through exploits in different ZIP/RAR programs.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can upload the files by adding .txt to the filename.
You only need to rename the file for it.
The double extention will show the real file type.

Bertus

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I do not think just open a Zip, or Rar file will do any harm to your computer. Or even extracting the files. It is first then you run the files inside that you are at risk.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I do not think just open a Zip, or Rar file will do any harm to your computer. Or even extracting the files. It is first then you run the files inside that you are at risk.
True, but with the recent major .DLL exploit on all windows platforms, each bit of software needs to be updated to fix it. There are many versions of WinZIP/winrar (few years back)/similar programs that may be on systems that are exploitable, but not updated yet.

Not that I think we have malicious posters, but I'd rather rely on examining images or hex files than trust that an archive program doesn't have an unknown exploit.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
True, but with the recent major .DLL exploit on all windows platforms, each bit of software needs to be updated to fix it. There are many versions of WinZIP/winrar (few years back)/similar programs that may be on systems that are exploitable, but not updated yet.

Not that I think we have malicious posters, but I'd rather rely on examining images or hex files than trust that an archive program doesn't have an unknown exploit.
I agree.

Those filename extensions are playing a big role in future hobby electronics, and should be added to upload-able extension types.

It only adds another layer of complexity to a n00b to have to change the filename.

Most windows "rename" dialogs do-not show extensions, so the user will be back to ask how.

And unless their compiler/programmer is set to "All File Types" the file will not show up as available to open in these programs.

It is an easy enough change, and I think administration would agree.

Think about all the arduino and pickit users who are going from "artist/non-computer" user to "microcontroller" user.. I think this would be a wise addition to AAC.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Thanks for the fast addition, Awesome Admin Guys!

This place gets better all the time!

Now we just need an automatic script that converts MS Word attachments into PDFs! :p

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is the complete list of possible extentions and filesizes, as given in the manage attachments dialog:

Bertus