ADC conversion for PIC18F4550 question

tuanvoi

Joined Oct 31, 2008
Hi all,
We know that after ADC conversion, we will get pulse code modulation (PCM). For my ADC,there will be 10 bit resolution. The output is 10 bits parallely. I want to transfer this output data over bluetooth device. My question is do I have to convert these bits to serial so that I can pack these bits and send them? Could you please help me with this? If I have to convert, what method or chip do I have to use? Thank you all!
Tom

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
How does it follow that -
We know that after ADC conversion, we will get pulse code modulation (PCM)
- I do not see why this is so.

Your second part is hard to answer. Bits (binary digits) are discrete entities. If you load the 10 bits of your conversion into a register, then they are in the form of a partial word. Shifting the register right by one bit and transmitting each successive bit effectively does a parallel to serial conversion.

You can't pack serial bits. Read up on your bluetooth interface and you will see how to send data.

tuanvoi

Joined Oct 31, 2008
Sorry for any misleading. Lets repeat it. I have PIC18F4550, and use this MCU do ADC conversion. I have bluetooth device(eb301 from www.a7eng.com) that will connect to this PIC via RS232. My question is that will the ADC converted data directly transfer to the bluetooth or I have to manipulate any other steps before the data can be transfered to bluetooth device pin? Thank you

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You need to read and understand the internal process for the A to D converter and the data it produces.. If the PIC has the RS-232 interface built in, then that will handle the parallel to serial process. If not, then an IC like the MAX232 will handle it.