Adapting a .05" ribbon cable to a .1"

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by umphrey, Mar 26, 2015.

1. umphrey

Thread Starter Member

Dec 1, 2012

I have to connect 2 boards together and they each have headers made for ribbon cables. One is .05" pitch, the other is 0.10" pitch. What is the simplest way to do this? The pinouts line up so I don't have to swap the wires around or anything.
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Make a pcb-based interface or buy one. For some interfaces, e.g., 2 mm to 0.1" they are common (i.e., IDE to laptop drive). I have not bothered to check on 0.05" to 0.1".

cmartinez likes this.
  3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Photos would really help. How many pins wires in the ribbon cable? Most ribbon cable headers accept both ribbon cable connectors and crimp-pin connectors. 50 mil pitch sounds like the most common, standard ribbon cable. The connectors always have two rows, so a 20-wire cable has a connector with two rows of sockets each, all spaced on a 100 mil grid. 100 mil pitch ribbon sounds like something for single-row IDC (insulation displacement connector) like AMP's MTA series. One way to solve your problem is get a ribbon cable that is long enough, cut the connector off one end, and attach the wires to the correct pins on the 100 mil pitch connector.

4. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I've done that before. And John is right on the mark, listen to him.