Adapter Voltage help!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kahafeez, Oct 2, 2010.

1. kahafeez

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Hello everyone!

I have a device that works on 12V/ 1A. Its adapter is not working anymore. I have another adapter which is 16V/ 1A. i need to confirm if i can power up my device using the 16V supply. will it hurt my device or can i use it?

the device is a WiFi access point so i will need it to be switched on 24/7. Please suggest.

2. dokworm

Oct 1, 2010

No, do not use the 16V adapter, it will most likely kill it. You could use a 12V adapter, as long as it is at least 1A. (i.e. a 12V 2A will work, as would a 12V 3A, but not a 12V 500milliamp).

You may want to check if the 12V supply you currently has says it is 'regulated', and if so, only use another regulated supply.

You could make a voltage regulator circuit to cut the 16V down to 12volts I guess, but you would be better off obtaining a new supply. I often check out op-shops and pick up supplies for next to nothing.

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    12v wallwarts should be a dime a dozen pretty much everywhere in the world.

As dokworm mentioned 16v most likely will kill your device.

IF your device has a variable input, it may work.

If you can read on the device something that says:
    Input 11vDC - 18vDC 1 Amp

Then you would be ok. If it says 12vDC only.. then get yourself another adapter.

4. kahafeez

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    thank you. i will buy a new 12V supply :)

5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Do what I do on occasion.

Hit up garage sales and thrift shops when you drive by one and have a few free minutes, you'll usually find all sorts of orphaned supplies they're willing to sell for 50 cents.

Granted - I've had to change quite a few ends on them but Radio Shack keeps those around, I've also come up with some strange voltage output supplies (sometimes multiple voltages) but I toss them into my box of them anyway as you never know.